Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkoffhomerun
Streaming Star

Re: How to change Roku home screen app display from 4 columns back to 3

The complaint between 3 and 4 column wide on the icons is the size of the TV so 4 columns is probably good for 55" and 65" and larger TVs but on smaller TVs 4 column makes the icons too small for many people to see or people with visual impairments and the visual impairments is a common complaint on this thread. I have 55" and 65" TV's and 4 columns is fine but my 50" 4 columns makes icons fairly small.

With Roku external sticks and ultra devices those dont know the size of the tv technically so mandating column sizes on those can cause issues so there has to be a way to select to adapt to your tv screen size.

Strega2
Roku Guru

Not just the screen size, but also the viewing distance is a critical factor.  For example, I have a 46” TV but I only view it from 11-12 feet away, so I think the 4-column would work well for me.  By the way, back in the 1980s I was using a 19” CRT standard definition TV at the same distance! And that seemed pretty cool at the time!  😀

Banned but back. Because why not?
jakecentric
Channel Surfer

My friend has the 4x4 on his 65" and I like it. I haven't actually used it or even looked closely at it yet, but I like the look. It looks more modern to me. 

0 Kudos
XT1
Binge Watcher

Love the diligent work of the company PR team. 

"I don't have a Roku myself...." so, naturally I'm hanging out on the Roku forum, made myself a profile, was personally invested enough to post an upbeat defense of a feature not installed on any of the products I personally own.... you know: Just another "normal guy"... 🤣

Lol..... Rigggghhhhtttt.....

Look, it's not complicated. They could fix this too make it optional.  They SHOULD fix it....

Look at the forums. So many angry customers.  Under multiple topic titles. There are certainly enough customers demanding the change back,  a responsive company would move to resolve the customer concern.

Roku?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Someone in this thread doesn't own a Roku?

0 Kudos
XT1
Binge Watcher

"My friend has the 4x4 on his 65" and I like it. I haven't actually used it or even looked closely at it........"

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

But his previous post says:  "I've been waiting for the update to the 4 across menu. I like the look and the fact that it means less scrolling to find apps lower in the list. Is there a way to turn it on if you don't seem to have it yet? I have 4 Roku TVs and none of them have it yet but a friend of mine has it on his Roku TV. "

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@XT1 wrote:

"My friend has the 4x4 on his 65" and I like it. I haven't actually used it or even looked closely at it........"

They never said they didn't have a Roku. They're just saying they saw the 4x4 on a friend's system. It's entirely possible they have Rokus but none have the 4x4 screen. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
jakecentric
Channel Surfer

Yes, I have 4 Roku TVs in my house. Not sure how someone jumped to the conclusion that I didn't have any based on even that last post...'I haven't used it'...but if they can mock the Roku PR team, can I mock their reading comprehension skills, or lack thereof?

Nah, I wouldn't do that because I'm not here for negativity or to be a troll.

I'll gather and condense my statements here for ease and clarity.

I have 4 Roku TVs (that part is key). I have yet to see the 4x4 menu on any of mine. I'm in the beta program also. My friend, who has 1 Roku TV, has the 4x4 update. I'm at his house often so, while I'm not using his remote and "driving", I have seen it many times and I like the look of the 4x4 and am far from mad about the change. In fact, I would like to have the 4x4 on my TVs. I totally agree that it should be a choice but I was simply wondering if there was a way to trigger the change if you're someone like me who wants it on their TVs.

Never expected drama on a Roku forum but here we are. Thanks to those who understood what I said and commented. 

MikieAC
Channel Surfer

@jakecentric I kinda figured that there was a misunderstanding. 

🤠 It's all good 👍

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.