Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rsrdl
Reel Rookie

Re: How to change Roku home screen app display from 4 columns back to 3

Please, as your paying customer, change the display back to three columns. 

It looks like about 80% in here agree. Please!

Rsrdl
Reel Rookie

So, what is the consensus best alternative to ROKU. I'll be switching. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Rsrdl,

A warm welcome here to the Roku Community!

Thank you so much for sharing with us your feedback regarding the Roku interface, specifically with the column channel tile numbers. With the next update that we're currently working on, it will be focused on a user-preference interface, which allows users to have options to choose from 3 or 4 columns with the channel lists. Other than that, this release also includes features that generally enhance the performance of media playback, such as prebuffering for live content, improved closed captioning through ad breaks, and pre-playback audio and subtitle track selection.

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and understanding regarding this,

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Nosoynadie
Binge Watcher

Ok so this was pushed on people without warning and there isn't a option to return until the next update? The last update was in May of this year so what's the timetable for the next one? It's one thing to ask to be a part of a beta program, it's another when there's not an option to opt out. You chose the latter, not the former.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @Nosoynadie,

The upcoming Roku OS update will roll out to supported Roku devices over the coming weeks.

More information about the features launching with the next Roku OS will be available soon.

We value your patience as this update will be soon released. 

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
jimsz
Streaming Star

Getting to be the typical reply from a once good company. We messed up your device the you own by forcing a test on you but we can't force it back and you just have to wait. Sucks to be you users. But hey, just wait until you see how we monetize you next!

Really? In what worlds that acceptable?

jimsz
Streaming Star

Roku can state anything they want publicly - they have done nothing to prove what they say.

If they can push a forced update to change it to 4 they should be able to just as easily push an update to roll that back.

The 4 icons, the forced search bar. the forced continue watching. The changes within the roku app on the device.

None of this has been done to benefit the user. It's all about monetization as Roku has lost the customer centric focus they had in the past.

Once the "update" actually arrives my guess is Roku is planning other surprises to monetize the user.

Zero confidence in this company any longer.

rfmuth
Binge Watcher

Not everyone hates the 4 tile across home screen.  I really liked it, even on my 32" TV. Unfortunately, it went away the same way it came.  I was waiting for the promised update with the option to go back to having 4 tiles across, however, when the update arrived, there is no option to choose between 3 or 4 tiles across.  It's the old Home screen with 3 tiles, and that's it.

So, many of you can rejoice.  But I'm miffed tat we don't have the newer setup as an option.

brianm27

I agree.  I really liked the 4 columns.  Should be an easy toggle in settings.

0 Kudos
XT1
Binge Watcher

Ok....

Now I'm pretty freakin' ticked! 

Like many others on here,  I was very unhappy with the forced revamp of my home screen from three tiles to the terrible (in my opinion) four. 

I contacted Roku with my concern and was ignored. I posted my thoughts on here,  joining my voice with the many others on this forum. 

I let it go and trusted patiently when Roku finally responded in this forum and said that there was an update on the way that would allow users to choose to go back to three tiles. 

I have been waiting patiently since then. 

Tonight,  a forced update came across all of my Roku products.  It forced my screen back to their stupid wallpaper that they shove down our throats every month or so,  and made my unit unusable for about 5 to 10 minutes. 

When it came back on,  I was excited to see the return of three tiles..... for about 30 seconds.... Then,  a flicker,  then back to 4 tiles!

Roku,  you won't keep customers if you continue to disregard them. We didn't lease these devices from you,  we bought them! They should be ours to configure as we desire!

You said you were updating to restore the control to us. I feel lied to!

Fed Up!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.