Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DCwebman
Channel Surfer

How did my Roku turn on by itself, select an app, and play a movie?

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and discovered my TV was on playing a movie. I know I left it on Hulu and then turned the TV off. The movie was playing from the app Vix which I didn't know I had installed and it was in Spanish. I went back to the Roku home and my theme had changed from the factory defaults to SpongeBob SquarePants. I have no idea how the TV got turned back on from the Roku, went to the Vix app, started playing a movie, and even changed the Roku theme. I could not tell when it had started but the movie was Titanic and it was about in the middle so I would guess it had been going for 1.5 hours.

I did change my Roku password then, but I don't know what good it will do because you can't log out of your Roku account and have to do a factory reset instead. If by chance another Roku device had my logged in account, it seems like they would still be able to do things.

How could this happen? Was I hacked and someone had fun changing my apps and Roku theme?

This was on the Roku Express 4K+ (model 3941X).

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DCwebman
Channel Surfer

Re: How did my Roku turn on by itself, select an app, and play a movie?

Apparently when the Roku screensaver turns on, Vix is currently one of those apps/movies that can get played by pressing the Play button. I saw it today with Titanic and pressed the Play button. It installed the Vix app and went to directly start playing the movie.

So, that explains how the app got installed and a movie started. But the Play button needed to be pressed and I'm the only one in my house. And it doesn't explain how the screensaver got changed to SpongeBob SquarePants.

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community, @DCwebman.

We see that you're experiencing odd behavior with your Roku Express 4K+. We are here to investigate and take a closer look at it.

For us to determine the root cause of the impending problem with your Roku, we need some additional information for better visibility:

• When did this issue first occur?
  • Did you receive any recent software updates? If so, kindly let us know the latest software of your device by navigating to Settings > System > Power > About.
  • Have you noticed any odd behavior with your remote lately? To isolate the problem, please remove the batteries of your Roku remote and observe if the problem persists.
  • Is your Roku connected to a Roku mobile app? If yes, try disconnecting the app.
  • Please provide a short video clip of what you're seeing for reference.

In the meantime, try rebooting your Roku device by going to Settings > System > Power > System restart (If you can't find an option for Power, you can skip it).

Please keep us posted for more updates.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DCwebman
Channel Surfer

1. It first happened during the night of July 13.
2. It says it was last checked 7/15 and last updated 5/14. 13.0.0.24056 is there now.
3. I have not seen any problems with the remote.
4. It was connected to the Roku app. I disconnected it.
5. I can't provide a video clip. I described what I experienced in the middle of the night when the TV came on and a movie on Vix started playing. Plus the Roku theme was changed.

The Roku was rebooted that night after I changed my password online and I was hoping to see I had to login again.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@DCwebman wrote:

The Roku was rebooted that night after I changed my password online and I was hoping to see I had to login again.

Roku devices are not logged into an account. They are linked during initial setup, so there's no passwords involved to use the device. In fact, you cannot log a device out of your account. You must do a factory reset on the device and then remove it from your user account using the web site. The individual apps/channels that do require authentication can be logged in/out, but not the device itself.

The CEC functionality of your Roku is likely what turned the TV on. While many people appreciate the functionality, you can turn it off in the Roku Settings menu. It's labeled One-touch play. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DCwebman
Channel Surfer

@atc98092 Thanks for the explanation of the account. 

I do use the CEC functionality. That allows me to press one of the shortcut buttons on the remote when the TV is off to have it turn on and go to that app. I have yet been able to test though once the Roku screensaver happens and the TV is off if the Play button does the same thing. I imagine it would. However, someone has to press the Play button; I'm the only one here and I was upstairs sleeping when it happened. 

And it does not explain how my default Wallpaper that I have never changed got changed to SpongeBob SquarePants.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@DCwebman wrote:

And it does not explain how my default Wallpaper that I have never changed got changed to SpongeBob SquarePants.

Roku on occasion pushes out seasonal and promotional backgrounds and screen savers. You can disable those in the settings menu. I have them off on mine. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DCwebman
Channel Surfer

@atc98092 I found the Setting. Didn't think I would need to find that if I preferred a wallpaper already. 

I still don't understand Play getting clicked, but thanks for the answers on the others.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.