Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eringobraghski
Channel Surfer

Error 004 failed update leads to blank frozen screen

Turned on the Roku Express yesterday (7/17) and upon loading was met with a popup saying a software update was needed. My only option was to click OK. The update bar gets to 100% and then fails with Error Code 004 and tells me to try again later. Again, my only option was to click OK. Upon doing so, the screen blanks to the default Roku purple background with the clock in the top right. Nothing else. I have tried restarting, power cycling, and trying to access the secret menu both during the update and after it has failed. Nothing has worked (in regards to the secret menu, I get no response to the sequence of buttons that calls it), which means my Roku is a brick. Please tell me that there is something else I can do?

Labels (1)
15 REPLIES 15
eringobraghski
Channel Surfer

Re: Error 004 failed update leads to blank frozen screen

Power cycling did fix it, for a time, I was able to watch for a bit of time. But the next time I turned the Roku off and later back on, I was right back to the update pop-up, error 004, and the blank frozen screen.

Different networks yielded same.

Resetting yielded same.

Apparently my device doesn't qualify for support?

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @eringobraghski.

We understand that the issue persists after all the suggested troubleshooting steps; we'd like to take this to another step and forward this over to the appropriate Roku team for a thorough review and investigation. We need additional information to do this; kindly provide the following: 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)

With this additional data, we can pinpoint what's causing the problem on your Roku device.

We are hoping for your prompt response.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kcombs

I am having the exact same issue. 
Roku device model: 3900X-Roku Express

serial number:YG0018658380 (C33961658380)

device ID:80-290-549

software version:13.0.0 build 24056-51

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome, @Kcombs.

Thanks for your first post here in the Roku Community!

We see you're also encountering the same issue with another user regarding the inability to update your Roku. Don't worry; we're here to assist. 

Please tell us the troubleshooting steps you took to resolve the issue. If you haven't tried one, try performing a factory reset to see if it makes any difference.

For the time being, we'll pass this information along to the appropriate Roku team for further review and investigation.

Please keep us updated on the latest developments. We eagerly await your prompt reply.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
eringobraghski
Channel Surfer

Emman,

Thanks for your patience.

Roku device mode - 3900x - Roku express

serial number - YG000G070811

device ID - C33950070811

OS version - 13.1.4 build 1510-51

Will the tracker id be helpful here? I can't get the tracker id after the error occurs because the screen is frozen. Only after resetting the device. So the error wouldn't have happened? If you need it I'm happy to get one.

0 Kudos
eringobraghski
Channel Surfer

Alright, I got a tracker id just in case since I haven't seen movement in a bit.

Tracker id: 11-305-217

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the additional details, @eringobraghski.

We will make sure to pass this information on to the correct team at Roku for a comprehensive review. While this is being looked into, we kindly ask for your understanding and patience. 

Many thanks,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
eringobraghski
Channel Surfer

Thanks so much, Emman.

Havok042

I'm in the same boat, it freezes after the failed update.

Model 3900X - Roku Express

SN# YG007T546416 (C33887546416)

ISSUE ID 16-309-611

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.