Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
remaker
Roku Guru

Re: Does Roku Support IPv6?

@Anonymous How is each device physically attached? Wireless? Wi-Fi? How are they connected to the network? Are there multiple hubs or hops in between? Routers? Access point? How many devices are in the path to the router at the edge?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I just got home from my business trip and checked my Ultra 4800. The secret screen shows IPv6 enabled, with link local and global addresses listed. I ran a speed test (clicking the button doesn't appear to do anything, but the results came back about 20 seconds later), and the IPv4 and IPv6 speeds were almost identical, with the IPv6 speed about 7 Mbps faster.

Overall speed is reporting as 226.8 Mbps (IP6) and 219.4 Mbps (IP4). This is using an 802.11ax access point about three feet from the Roku, connected to my Gigabit home network and a typical Internet speed on a wired computer of 900 Mbps. The Roku devices seem to be bitrate limited, either by a hardware limitation or OS configuration. Not that it really matters, since there's nothing streaming on the Internet faster than about 25 Mbps. My speeds are just fine for streaming my local UHD rips, which have average bitrates of 75 Mbps and peaks around 170 Mbps. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
remaker
Roku Guru

Looks The the speed test button quietly launches a text in the background and pops up the window when finished.

Now my next question: which channels will use IPv6?

I may set up an IPv6 only subnet to see what happens…

0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

I spent a few hours this morning testing IPv6 on Roku OS 12.0, and posted results here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/IPv6-Live-in-RokuOS-12-0/m-p/872437/highlight/true#...

0 Kudos
train_wreck
Reel Rookie

Hey, just saw this post. Thanks for the info. I have a Roku Ultra (4660X) that has firmware 12.0.0.4184-46 . My network is a Fortinet 40F firewall handing out addresses via SLAAC, from a Comcast connection that I have obtained a DHCPv6 prefix using delegation. No issues on any other devices using IPv6 in this network.

The Roku doesn't appear to be obtaining a v6 address. I see no ICMPv6 RS solicitations coming from the device when I sniff the network on the Fortinet. When I go into the "Secret menu" using the special remote keypresses, the "IPv6 secret screen" always shows that IPv6 is disabled. When I toggle the IPv6 option and reboot, it still says disabled.

Perhaps a future firmware update will enable it?

0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

Looks like IPv6 is being activated in stages, just like the software is rolled out. Colleagues on my IPv6 group have about a 50-50 success rate.

As an aside, my 3810 STILL does not have 12.0....

@RokuDanny-R - can you confirm that the IPv6 rollout is staged on 12.0 releases? Any idea when the different rollouts are?

0 Kudos
train_wreck
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the info, for those you know that are using IPv6 is it working well? Many years ago I remember there being speculation that some of the internal SoCs in certain Roku devices had terrible performance over IPv6, something about the network chipsets only "accelerating" IPv4 traffic and not IPv6. No idea how accurate that was however.

0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

Never heard of performance issues with IPv6 on SoCs, even on the low-resource Raspberry Pi (the stack added a measly 300k to the kernel). IPv6 has been on by default in those low-rescore systems since Raspbian Jessie, around 2015. Roku is VERY late to the party. Amazon Fire and AppleTV have run IPv6 for years.

Everything works completely invisibly to me as an end user. I only know that IPv6 is running when I run Wireshark. And, this is how it should be.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW, last month I had 2 of 3 Ultras with IPv6 enabled, and one which could not be enabled. I just noticed today that it's been disabled in all 3 now (and with that first Cfg Var set to "false", they can't be enabled). Just testing, I guess. 

0 Kudos