Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku customer data hacked and sold

Yes, so if you’ve used the same username/password at other sites, make sure to change those.  Since you think it’s odd that Roku has your credit card, you can remove it if you wish.  They encourage you to have one on file but don’t require it.

Did Roku reset your password?  If not, then you are probably not one of the roughly 0.02% who were affected.  Still, you might as well take this as an opportunity to make sure passwords aren’t being shared and maybe change passwords that are fairly simple, etc.

Banned but back. Because why not?
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Did anyone hear of the Roku Hack

I was also forced to do a password reset this morning. Since I'm logged into the forum almost constantly (just needing to log in again every morning) I know there was nothing wrong with my password. Odds are they are pushing out a requirement to reset your password, although I would have expected an email about it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AJCxZ0
Streaming Star

0 Kudos
dvarga
Reel Rookie

I have a free Roku acct, just use the box to stream netflix and amazon Prime video.  I just heard of the HACK. I tried to login but it had a new password assigned. So I changed the password via their utility that sends the reset link.

Question, am i vulnerable in any way with the netflix and amazon Prime streaming through the Roku? Would the hacker have access to those two accts of mine?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Montclair, NJ

0 Kudos
atc98092

@dvarga wrote:

I have a free Roku acct, just use the box to stream netflix and amazon Prime video.  I just heard of the HACK. I tried to login but it had a new password assigned. So I changed the password via their utility that sends the reset link.

Question, am i vulnerable in any way with the netflix and amazon Prime streaming through the Roku? Would the hacker have access to those two accts of mine?

First, your account did not get hacked. Roku decided to mandate a password update as a precaution. If you had never received an email telling you your password had been changed, then no one had changed it. I received such an email after I changed it, but never before. 

Your Netflix and Prime account passwords are not saved within your Roku account to the best of my knowledge. So even if your Roku account had been hacked that information would be safe. And my guess is even if Roku has passwords for any of your accounts (they do store a few) they would all be encrypted and of little use to a hacker. I'm not saying the encryption couldn't be hacked, but usually not worth the time and effort to the hacker. 

Dan

0 Kudos
StopTheFomo
Channel Surfer

Re: Credit Card Requirement I

So Roku's recent data breach of over 15,000 users with their credit card information stored on Roku was compromised - therefore, there is indeed a "risk" which you so casually cast aside. If Roku requires CC information, at least require 2 factor authentication for increased security but guess what? There is no 2FA available and nothing indicates that there will be any 2 FA in the near future. 

Stop the FOMO!
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Roku doesn’t actually require a credit card, so if you don’t trust their security, then I would suggest you remove your CC information. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@StopTheFomo wrote:

So Roku's recent data breach of over 15,000 users with their credit card information stored on Roku was compromised - therefore, there is indeed a "risk" which you so casually cast aside. If Roku requires CC information, at least require 2 factor authentication for increased security but guess what? There is no 2FA available and nothing indicates that there will be any 2 FA in the near future. 

I don't cast it aside casually, but consider how many millions of Roku user accounts there are and a breach of 15,000 is well under 1% of the total. It's not nothing to the ones that were breeched, but an extremely small number. Roku does not require CC information, other than to initially set up a user account (I really wish they would simply stop requiring that). Once the account is created, the CC can be removed with no impact on using the device, other than not being able to purchase anything directly through Roku (which I don't do anyway). I agree that 2FA should be implemented on anything that stores personal financial information. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I just created an account at:

https://my.roku.com/signup/nocc

and wasn't asked for a payment method.   That's the way I originally signed up for Roku around 2016, based on searching for:  roku sign up no credit card 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Cool, I didn't think that worked anymore. 🙂

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.