Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laja

Closed captions turning on

Jump to solution

Both of my Roku devices turn on CC (closed Captioning) randomly. It seems like the system software has the coding reversed. The system programming should never default to turn on CC anywhere. It should do the opposite and turn it off. The only time CC should come on is when you manually turn it on CC. This is not a user problem or someone else’s problem. This is a Roku problem.

Check your app programming and make sure you are not turning CC on except when the user manually turns it on.

I’m not the only one complaining about this.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Closed captions turning on

Jump to solution

Hi @limetaljake,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Thanks for reaching out and for sharing your experience about this issue. Please note that individual channels and apps have their own settings that may override the settings in the Roku menus. You should check within each channel's settings and disable captions separately for each one. Some channels have their own caption settings that are independent of the system settings.

Channel providers are responsible for managing their content programming, including closed captions and subtitles. If changing the captions in the Roku settings does not resolve the issue, contact the channel directly.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to further assist you.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @laja,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

A warm welcome, and thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We'd love to take a closer look at the issue you've been experiencing with the closed captioning. What Roku device are you using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify) Does the issue occur on a specific channel or all the channels installed on your Roku device? In addition, can you specify the troubleshooting steps you have taken to try to resolve the issue?

We'll be eager to wait for your update. Thank you!

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I would like to respond since the poster hasn't provided any further information.

I have 3 seperate Roku devices (2 built in to TV, the other Roku Express). About a week ago, I noticed the captions were coming on automatically on the Tubi App. When I would turn them off, they would came back again either after an ad break, or if i changed to another episode or feature altogether.

I also noticed that this started happening on Disney +, and that Prime was showing the button to enable subtitles, which it hadn't done previously. 

I tried removing apps, system resets, and a factory reset of one of my tv's. None of these procedures resolved the issue.

I'm pretty certain the problem is that the roku app is trying to turn on the captions due to a bug. If the app doesn't have it's own caption built it, Roku turns them on. If it does, Roku sends a message to prompt the app to turn them on. 

Let me know if you need any further information. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @limetaljake,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Thanks for reaching out and for sharing your experience about this issue. Please note that individual channels and apps have their own settings that may override the settings in the Roku menus. You should check within each channel's settings and disable captions separately for each one. Some channels have their own caption settings that are independent of the system settings.

Channel providers are responsible for managing their content programming, including closed captions and subtitles. If changing the captions in the Roku settings does not resolve the issue, contact the channel directly.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to further assist you.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Where is the solution????? It is not the channel providers, it is you Roku!!! Fix the problem.

0 Kudos
Lusah23

Jump to solution

We have been having the exact same issues as of two weeks ago. It is extremely aggravating to have to keep going to the channel settings AND Roku settings to turn OFF the CC continously during each show we are watching on Tubi or Disney+. We have already done the standard instructions that Roku has been sending automatically as a response to each of the previous complainants to no avail. We all need a proper solution to this obvious "bug" in Roku's system!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.