Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShaneLee

Closed captioning won't stay off

Jump to solution

That works but have to do it every time I turn on the tv

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Closed captioning won't stay off

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We understand you are having trouble with the closed captioning feature on your Roku device that won't stay off, and we're sorry for the inconvenience it has caused.

Please be advised that most channels and apps contain their own settings and will override the settings in Roku menus. Check inside each channel's settings and turn off captions on each. Some channels have their own caption settings that are separate from the system settings.

For more information about turning closed captioning on/off, visit our Support page here: How do I enable closed captioning?

In addition, channel providers manage their content programming, including closed captions and subtitles. Reach out to the channel if changing the captions in the Roku settings does not resolve the issue.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Hannah146

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, every time I turn on the TV closed captions is on, even if I had turned them off. 

0 Kudos
Merlin749

Jump to solution

Me too, been doing it for a week or so. Did a Roku update do this??

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We understand you are having trouble with the closed captioning feature on your Roku device that won't stay off, and we're sorry for the inconvenience it has caused.

Please be advised that most channels and apps contain their own settings and will override the settings in Roku menus. Check inside each channel's settings and turn off captions on each. Some channels have their own caption settings that are separate from the system settings.

For more information about turning closed captioning on/off, visit our Support page here: How do I enable closed captioning?

In addition, channel providers manage their content programming, including closed captions and subtitles. Reach out to the channel if changing the captions in the Roku settings does not resolve the issue.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.