Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Block Channels (NOT APPS) on Roku TV

Hi, @DelanitheFirst

We hear you and acknowledge your input. 

Please be aware that the "Trending Now" feature is part of the new software update. No worries. We'll take note of your suggestion about blocking certain apps, but as of the moment, that feature is currently unavailable. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else you'd want us to address and we'd be willing to listen. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TechDadvContent
Reel Rookie

I think the misunderstanding here is the Roku terminology. Within the Roku environment, the apps are also referred to as “channels” and it sounds like the original poster’s issue is specifically with the persistent availability of certain channels/content from within the app/channel called “The Roku Channel”.

I’m having the same issue in which I’ve removed “The Roku Channel” app yet my kids are still able to use the search function to find and play content that is available from The Roku Channel app. I’m also aware that the “Securing The Roku Channel” configurations can be used to restrict access based on age-appropriate ratings, but in my case, the lowest option available (“Little Kids”) doesn’t help to restrict the mind-numbing garbage I’m attempting to block (specifically “Lankybox”) since it is rated G. The show comes up in the search results available from other apps (Hulu, HappyKids, etc.) but these prompt the user to install that “channel” since they are not currently installed and I require a PIN to add any app/channel. However, content from The Roku Channel app is the ONLY exception and does not prompt the user to “Add channel” despite the fact that I do not have The Roku Channel app installed.

I’m guessing the “Securing The Roku Channel” options are also useless to the original poster since placing age restrictions on content for their elderly parent’s Roku doesn’t seem like a suitable option! I think Roku needs to provide the ability for users to designate restricted access to specific content available from The Roku Channel (possibly controlled by requiring a PIN for access) since the “Securing The Roku Channel” configurations don't provide adequate control.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TechDadvContent,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you further. Please check out this support article here.

We hope this helps.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TechDadvContent
Reel Rookie

Hi @RokuJohnB - I appreciate the reply but unfortunately these options do not address the issues that I raised. None of these options can help to prevent access to specific G, TV-Y, and TV-G content. Likewise, these options would not help @DelanitheFirst who would also like to block only very specific content. Our issues are more about content that we deem unsuitable for our viewing audience regardless of the “age-appropriateness” rating, so these controls are not adequate. 

DelanitheFirst
Binge Watcher

THANK YOU!!