Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DelanitheFirst
Binge Watcher

Block Channels (NOT APPS) on Roku TV

If you have been a person, not a bot, you realized this answer was a waste of everyone’s time.

Just come right out and say, there is no solution. Be honest!

Labels (1)
14 REPLIES 14
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Block Channels (NOT APPS) on Roku TV

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @DelanitheFirst.

We sincerely regret any trouble or inconvenience this may have caused you. 

Just to clarify, are you referring to completely blocking a specific app/channel on your Roku streaming device? If so, please be aware that this option is unavailable on Roku. However, you can remove certain apps/channels on your channel lineup by highlighting them, pressing the star* button on your remote, and then choosing the option "remove channel"

Let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with and we'd be more than happy to continue doing so. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DelanitheFirst
Binge Watcher

I'm going to be very specific here. Since it's very important for me, and many, many more of us, to BLOCK our older, gullible parents from watching any of the far right wing-nut news channels on OUR Roku Subscriptions. I highly suggest with the next update, (instead of doing goofy stuff like changing the number of tiles on the home screen) that you allow all of us THIS OPTION.

Strega2
Roku Guru

There’s not a lot of context here, but If you’re subscribing to these channels via some cable-replacement package like youtubeTV, fubo, direcTV,… then I think you would need those controls within those apps, or subscribe to apps that lack that stuff.  I don’t believe Roku ever “reaches into” an app and blocks parts of it.  On the other hand, if you mean The Roku Channel, then that’s something Roku would control.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@DelanitheFirst 

Just to get the full picture before being to provide advice.  While very noble to protect your "older, gullible parents" from watching news channels on "your subscriptions", are these subscriptions on your parents' device(s) or are these your own devices?  Also, are these devices located in your parents' home?

Have you ever thought of either buying your own device, or vice-versa, buying your parents their own device as a gift and setting up a seperate account so that everyone can just simply watch whatever they want?

Depending on just how old and how gullible, many of these older and gullible parents were likely storming beaches, jungles, and deserts; dropping from the skies, and making their ways over muddy hills in foreign countries when TV was in its infancy or not considered a priority at the time.  Perhaps their children can cut them a break and let them watch their shows in peace.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DelanitheFirst
Binge Watcher

I don't want advice. I want Roku to allow people to block certain channels on the Roku channel so that vulnerable people don't get force-fed lies that cause them to act against their own self interest! The Fox News channel has already been found guilty and owes 3/4 of $1 billion for the lies they've told. And a $2 billion suit is next in line. Blocking channels that are even worse, is a moral imperative. Since the rest of my family has no interest in caring for my mother, it is my responsibility to keep her healthy and happy. To block these channels would aid in that endeavor! Thanks again for responding.

0 Kudos
DelanitheFirst
Binge Watcher

I am definitely talking about only the Roku channel. And that is why I have requested that Roku add this option in in the next upgrade!

I finally got an actual person from Roku to admit that this is not possible YET, instead of sending the BOT answer about being able to hide channels, which I have done. But these channels keep popping up in other areas that make them accessible! Most notably in the "trending now" spot.

Thanks for responding.

0 Kudos
henrymamar
Reel Rookie

Navigating Roku TV settings can be frustrating. It's indeed more helpful when answers acknowledge challenges, providing clarity for users seeking solutions.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I only used The Roku Channel for a few minutes when I got my Roku years ago.  Not because of any specific content – just all the commercials.

So, I don’t know what features it may have, but if you see no signs of them doing anything for you, which would not be surprising, since in commercial TV, you are not the customer, then I would just evaluate some other apps.  I believe you can remove TRC just like any other channel.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
DelanitheFirst
Binge Watcher

I tried removing the Roku channel and the Roku channel live TV (Live TV it seems cannot be removed, because it is part of the main menu) entirely, but these specific channels, (especially one of the worst, Newsmax TV) still shows up in the "trending now" option! Which makes it accessible even though I have hidden that channel in the Roku channel guide! This is why I'm asking Roku to allow people to completely block access to certain channels!

0 Kudos