Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pw6
Reel Rookie

App Order keeps changing even though it is set to Manual

Jump to solution

The App Order keeps changing even though it is set to Manual. I have seen the pop-up question that asks if you want the system to change it automatically, and I select No I want to change it manually. But for some stupid reason the past several days Roku keeps changing the order of my Apps. I have to reorder them every day. This is beyond frustrating. 

I have gone to Settings > Home Screen > App Order > and selected "Manual".  This does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. 

Hopefully, Roku will have an update soon that will fix this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: App Order keeps changing even though it is set to Manual

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thank you for keeping us informed!

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. Our dedicated Roku team is actively working on resolving it and we anticipate a fix in the coming weeks.

For better visibility and reference, we'll mark this post as solved.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
58 REPLIES 58
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @pw6,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Thanks for posting regarding your app order, which keeps changing even though it was too manual. We would be more than happy to assist with this.

For us to help you better, we will ask a set of questions to isolate the issue:

• When did you notice the issue occur?
  • Does this occur on multiple Roku devices, or does it happen on a specific Roku device?
  • Are there any changes in the setup or settings of your Roku device or your network provider that might cause the problem?
  • What are the specific steps to reproduce this issue?

We suggest running a manual software update by navigating to Settings System System update Check now for troubleshooting purposes.

For more information, check out this support article: How to update the software on your Roku TV or Roku streaming player.

Also, can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (these can all be found in Settings System About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)

Please keep us posted with the above information, and we will continue to assist you should you need further aid. We look forward to hearing your response.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pw6
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Here are the responses to your questions.

1. When did you notice the issue occur? It began this week. It started occurring this week. This was the first week that I saw the Roku message at the bottom of the screen asking if I want the Roku device to automatically order the apps - I responded by saying that I want to do it manually - not automatic.

2. Does this occur on multiple Roku devices, or does it happen on a specific Roku device? It only happens on the Roku stream bar.

3. Are there any changes in the setup or settings of your Roku device or your network provider that might cause the problem? There have been no changes to the setup of the Roku device or my network provider.

4. What are the specific steps to reproduce this issue? I am not sure what you mean by this. All I have to do is turn on the TV and the Roku apps have been automatically rearranged.

5. We suggest running a manual software update by navigating to Settings > System > System update > Check now for troubleshooting purposes. I tried this, but it says the system is up to date. I also tried unplugging and then re-plugging in the Roku stream bar, but the next day the Roku apps were rearranged again.

Do you have any more suggestions?

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @pw6,

Thanks for your response!

In this matter, could you please provide the requested information as we mentioned above?

Once we have this information, we'll be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

We'll be eager to wait for your update.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
thorfinn
Reel Rookie

Automatic Tile reordering keeps resetting to 'Automatic' when set to 'Manual'

Jump to solution

The utterly asinine "feature" to have Roku rearrange your home tiles to promote what THEY want you to watch won't go away. I keep going to settings to set it to Manual, it keeps resetting it to Automatic. Anyone else having this? Is there a permanent fix, or is it time to switch to another streaming device..

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Automatic Tile reordering keeps resetting to 'Automatic' when set to 'Manual'

Jump to solution

@thorfinn-

Is this on a Roku TV, or a Roku device connected to a TV?

I don't think I've seen a control for any such option.  Where do you find it?

The closest I can think of is on a Roku TV, to restore channel numbers:

While in your Live TV guide:

► Click the column with the channel logos
► Press the * (Options) button on your Roku remote
► Click on "Sort channel list"
► Click on "By Channel Number"

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
thorfinn
Reel Rookie

Re: Automatic Tile reordering keeps resetting to 'Automatic' when set to 'Manual'

Jump to solution

Hisense 65R6+ TV.. GoTo => Home Screen : App Order: Automatic/Manual {check mark}

Also, same thing on my Roku Ultra.

Three times now on the Ultra, Twice on the Hisense

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@thorfinn 

Unfortunately, you have been selected to participate in another one of Roku's  unasked for "test features".

From what I have previously read, allowing Roku to automatically decide channel/app tile placement is to assure that your most used channels/apps will always be at or near the top of the screen.

I think most people prefer to arrange their tiles according to the own preference.

Since most of these test features are a "work in progress", it will probably just keep overriding your preference when set to manual and you will likely just have to deal with it until their testing phase is over (or at least addressed by Roku during the course of this testing).

I do feel sorry for you.  Roku should not be using their customers as beta testers without their acknowledgement/consent.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I remember there was a setting somewhere, possibly in one of the "secret" menus, that you could prevent your device from being in beta testing features. Can't find it right now.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

I just have a feeling that if this feature was for the convenience of the user, then Roku would provide the options for "alphabetical", "most used", "most recent", etc.

I suspect some "preferred partner" channels will find their way onto the Home Screen or pushed towards the top.

With the continuing shift of Roku into an advertising platform, the Home Screen has become their own little playground at the expense of user experience at times.

---

@andyross 

There was a "cycle software update server" menu item that used to have the options for beta and release but the ability to toggle/cycle between them was removed/disabled a number of updates ago.  I am not sure, but I think you had to be in the official beta program for the beta option to proceed successfully. (that menu item was under the 3FF, 2Rew procedure if that was the one you were referencing.)

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.