Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drnotime
Binge Watcher

Re: 2020 Roku Ultra - Dolby Atmos is DECODED in the Ultra, not passed-through

My setup passes Atmos with no issues.  I believe the Ultra needs a firmware update to correct some issues.  I think (my opinion) the ultra is not fully compatible with some receivers.  I am using a Pioneer VSX-1131

0 Kudos
dwcoleman01
Reel Rookie

As I said before - no problems with ROKU ultra and ATMOS but it did take a couple of weeks of de-bugging.  I have a Yamaha receiver Aventage RX-760.  Had to set up speakers a particular way and had to make sure that no settings were overriding the information received by the ROKU.  As an example - I had a Cinema audio set and a few other options.  With that ATMOS was overridden by the Yamaha.  I set the Yamaha to factory (without doing the YPAO set up) and ATMOS worked.  Then I made the changes I wanted to the receiver and set up speakers.  At each step I re-tested to insure ATMOS was working.

I am willing to bet there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ROKU Ultra.  ATMOS works great (btw Jack Ryan season 1 atmos no longer works but I think that is an issue with Amazon Prime.

0 Kudos
Steve819
Reel Rookie

There's DEFINITELY a problem with Prime Video. Some days, some episodes work in Atmos, and other days, different ones don't work, so try different episodes of Jack Ryan or Carnival Row. Rarely do none of them work, anymore, though. Yes, for Atmos to work properly on any system, you have to have the proper speaker setup (Overhead, Ceiling, or Atmos Compatible upfiring speakers. You also have to turn off any of the fake/synthesized surround settings. Without your speakers properly wired most systems have connections for the Atmos/DTS X overhead speakers), AND the Speaker Settings properly set up, you have no chance of getting Atmos.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Amazon has all sorts of problems, and not just with Roku devices. They have problems with Android devices as well. The Shield will also lose the ability to play 5.1 audio. Considering the Fire TV is Android based, they don't seem to have the best app programmers working for them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

Amazon has all sorts of problems, and not just with Roku devices. They have problems with Android devices as well. The Shield will also lose the ability to play 5.1 audio. Considering the Fire TV is Android based, they don't seem to have the best app programmers working for them.

Or, they save their best programming/functionality/code optimization for their FireTV devices - which is why FireTV devices have the most functional/best UI/UX for Prime.

(...not that they have any conflict of interest when it comes to Prime app fixes/functionality/performance on non-FireTV streaming platforms...)

You want the best Prime experience? Use their FireTV devices.

Of course, regardless of what app/client platform you use, the server-side/content management issues are so bad and inconsistent (especially for the higher end 4K/HDR/DV/Atmos/5.1 content/functionality) that you never really know what youre going to get, until you open it up.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Which is why I still buy physical discs and rip them to my media server. Highest quality video and audio, and if there are any glitches in the Internet I can still watch almost anything I desire. Hard drives are relatively inexpensive, and if one fails I can just re-rip the disc. 😄

Dan

Mikelleen

Roku Ultra 2020 is NOT passing Atmos to my Marantz SR8012 in auto passthrough mode.

Also when I go to change the HDMI sound mode to auto passthrough it DOES show Atmos as a detected sound mode along with other Dolby modes and DTX etc.

So it detects my receiver supports Atmos , but in Disney + etc it does not pass through the codec.

This is a Roku issue. 

Also Disney + shows the content as ready to stream in Dolby Atmos

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Mikelleen wrote:

So it detects my receiver supports Atmos , but in Disney + etc it does not pass through the codec.

This is a Roku issue. 

Also Disney + shows the content as ready to stream in Dolby Atmos

Actually, it's a Disney issue. Roku is not responsible for the functionality within each channel. If the Roku has correctly detected your AVR supports Atmos, then it's the channel's responsibility to send the supported audio codec. Disney provides the channel on Roku devices, and only they resolve issues with the channel functionality. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Mikelleen

Wrong! Disney + does in fact detect if your system supports which codecs.

For example when I open Disney + from Roku Ultra on my other system that does not have  Dolby Vision, the title details in Disney + shows the steam as available in HDR not Dolby vision.

Same detection occurs for Atmos.

Disney + reads my system as Dolby Vision / Atmos ready on the title screens and is ready to stream as such.

The Roku Ultra detects my system as Dolby Vision / Atmos compatible when selecting Auto Passthrough in HDMI however when I play the movie Atmos is never passed to my receiver.

This is either an issue with Roku not passing through Atmos after detecting Atmos is capable OR a handshake issue between Roku and Disney.

Oh and by the way if you read this thread others have indicated the same issue.

0 Kudos
Steve819
Reel Rookie

My Roku 2020 Ultra plays Atmos just fine with Disney+. My guess is that you might need to check your settings on your AV Receiver. I have a Yamaha Receiver, and one time I changed a setting to enhance my music, and it killed Atmos, until I remembered I had changed it. So my advice is to check all of your Sound Mode settings, and/or try Direct Mode to get Atmos to work with Disney.

0 Kudos