Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcleanmb0
Channel Surfer

Re: 2020 Roku Ultra - Dolby Atmos is DECODED in the Ultra, not passed-through

I do have one follow-up question then. I saw some other people posting that the reason the new 2020 version of the Ultra works with Netflix is because Netflix will not let Roku pass-through the Atmos signal, that Netflix requires compatible devices decode it themselves. The 2020 ultra can do that. With my current 2019 Ultra, I do get Atmos from other sources, such as Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video. So, if I set the Roku as pass-through, would that kill the Atmos through Netflix? I'm running the output from the Roku directly into a Marantz Atmos compatible receiver. Thank you in advance for any advice!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@mcleanmb0 wrote:

I do have one follow-up question then. I saw some other people posting that the reason the new 2020 version of the Ultra works with Netflix is because Netflix will not let Roku pass-through the Atmos signal, that Netflix requires compatible devices decode it themselves. The 2020 ultra can do that. With my current 2019 Ultra, I do get Atmos from other sources, such as Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video. So, if I set the Roku as pass-through, would that kill the Atmos through Netflix? I'm running the output from the Roku directly into a Marantz Atmos compatible receiver. Thank you in advance for any advice!

No, "Auto passthrough" preserves the original format in the 4800, including NetFlix Atmos.

drnotime
Binge Watcher

Just received my new Ultra 4800 with Vision and Atmos.  I had to set sound to Pass-through  to get Atmos to work correctly.  If I left it on Auto Detect it would have shows that isn't in Atmos play as Atmos.  I have the Pioneer VSX-1130 AVR.  The picture output of the Ultra 4800 is excellent.  It has fantastic color even on SDR.  Viewing on Vizio M658-G1.

Markeeeees

Does Netflix shows atmos on the page of the movie? 

0 Kudos
drnotime
Binge Watcher

If the movie is in Atmos, 5.1 or 2.0 it will show in the description of the movie. The only Roku that will show and play Atmos on Netflix is the 2020 Ultra. 

0 Kudos
Lparsons21
Binge Watcher

If Auto Detect worked as the description seems to say it does, then it would be a good thing.  But sadly it does not.  It upscales non-Atmos source material to faked Atmos but not with stereo sources.  And since all the live streaming services, except ATT TV & Now, only do stereo that means if you set it that way the rear speakers get nothing for those sources.  Lots of other streaming services only do stereo and even for those that offer 5.1 audio there is usually some programs that are just in stereo.

I played around with the various settings and found out a few things.  If you select Dolby Digital Plus then it works pretty much like Auto Detect.  If you set it to Dolby Digital it actually reports Dolby Digital Plus but you get rear speaker action for stereo source material but lose all Atmos.

IMO, all this goes to say that the various Audio settings are pretty much just not needed on the 2020 Ultra. Just set it to Auto PassThrough and forget about it.

cabowl1
Channel Surfer

It seems that auto pass through does not pass Atmos?   At least not with Disney+ or Vudu.  

Is that everyone else's experience ? 

0 Kudos
Lparsons21
Binge Watcher

No.  Just checked on mine and with Auto PassThrough selected I get Atmos just fine from Disney+ and Apple’s TV+.  I’m connected to a Sony X900E TV and sending audio to my Atmos soundbar via ARC.

mcleanmb0
Channel Surfer

I actually received my new 2020 Roku Ultra last week. I did as suggested and put the audio in Passthrough mode, and it's working perfectly. Just for additional information, I have it going directly into a Marantz SR6014 receiver. I'm now getting Atmos from Netflix, Disney+, VUDU, and Amazon prime video. So, I am now a happy camper! Thank God I now only need to use that horrible Apple TV remote for HBOMax and Peacock. Hopefully Roku adds these two channels soon...

0 Kudos
Lparsons21
Binge Watcher

Peacock is available now.