Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffR
Binge Watcher

12.5 update tragedy ..............................................

Jump to solution

The 12.5 update has rendered my Premier Roku devise useless.
Even after a factory reset the devise is inoperable. 
Planned obsolescence, Roku?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: 12.5 update tragedy ..............................................

Jump to solution

Hi @JeffR,

We apologize for this experience.

Would you mind elaborating on the issue your device is running into? We might need sufficient information to know the best course of action to take.

We'll appreciate your response regarding this matter.

Thanks,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JeffR,

We apologize for this experience.

Would you mind elaborating on the issue your device is running into? We might need sufficient information to know the best course of action to take.

We'll appreciate your response regarding this matter.

Thanks,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
thegreatdruid
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I also am experiencing problems after the 12.5 update.  it says I have poor internet, but when I do a speed test everything says it is fine from my internet provider.  I get repeated messages telling me to use voice activated commands, but my 3930X model nor remote does not have voice capabilities.  movies on various channels or apps start, but hang or restart themselves in mid movie (usually) after 20 or 30 minutes.

obviously, a major problem with the 12.5 update, which needs to be backed off to a previous release.

please fix this as soon as possible.

P.S.  I have "2" Roku devices, purchased at separate times, and neither of them work because of this update.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for raising your concern with us, @thegreatdruid.

We hear you and sincerely regret any trouble and inconvenience this may have caused you. 

May we first know if you have tried to perform a system reboot to both of your Roku Express? (Settings > System > System restart) Please specify the troubleshooting steps you have taken to try and resolve the issue you have been experiencing. 

Also, kindly provide us with a photo or video of the repeated messages you constantly receive. 

Furthermore, may we know who your internet service provider is? Are you somehow using a VPN? If so, please be advised that it can cause playback issues or no playback at all. Content providers continue to update their security measures to prevent unauthorized viewing, and it's possible a change was made that prevents your VPN from working. This is by design and intended, but using your standard ISP without the VPN will be the solution here.

We'll be looking forward to your response, as we are more than eager to find you the best resolution possible. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
thegreatdruid
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuCarly 

I have done MULTIPLE "system restarts", "system reboots" and even "factory resets" NUMEROUS TIMES on both of my Roku devices.

I performed the factory resets using the Roku menu screen, as well as the hard reset button on the back of the Roku device.

I have also performed multiple modem recycles, and physically unplugged the power cord of the Roku device.

I am using Consolidated Communications, and IT IS NOT a VPN network.

The problem appears to be with your 12.5 update ... ever since then, I have been experiencing problems, and receiving messages telling me to use voice command functionality.  the problems started about 2 months ago.

Neither my Roku device nor remote has voice command functionality ... obviously a problem with the 12.5 update which was pushed out. Obviously, the 12.5 update is INCOMPATIBLE with my 3930X device.

I have NEVER received messages about using voice commands before ... the devices were working great for about 2 years before the new update caused my problems.

to reiterate the problems ... APPS do not start, the Roku display is sometimes blank, and IF the APP does start, the app sits and spins and does not start the selected programs.  repeated messages come up about no wireless connection available or if it recognizes the connection, the poor internet connection message displays.

Finally, I tried to insert, paste pictures and photos, but this conversation does not accept them.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @thegreatdruid,

We appreciate you providing all these details here in the Roku Community!
We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. We would like to look further into this issue, but we need more details. Please provide us with the following information:

1. Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  4. Photo of the issue that you are experiencing. If you can't attach a photo here, you can message us. Select the name of a user. Once redirected to the profile, select "Send this user a private message."

We'll be waiting for your response.
Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I updated and now can't get it off the bouncing Roku I've tried everything. Any ideas on fixing it?

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @tabithaneal,

Welcome, and thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your report about this issue after updating your device, and we'd like to be of assistance here.

If you haven't done it before, we recommend doing a factory reset on your Roku TV. Please see our help page for details on how to continue. How do I factory reset my Roku TV?

Or if this has been done, please let us know what Roku device this is, along with its serial number. We'll be able to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos