Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shop99er
Binge Watcher

Your opinions on the Roku TV.

Jump to solution

My old Sanyo is dying, so I have to replace it.

I'm going shopping on Tuesday, and the Roku TV is a possibility. Since I don't know anyone that owns one, I'm looking for opinions, good or bad.

Specifically, the 43-inch variety.

TIA!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Your opinions on the Roku TV.

Jump to solution

@shop99er 

A "Smart TV" comes equipped with an integrated operating system (OS) like FireTV, RokuTV, GoogleTV, AndroidTV, Samsung's Tizen, LG's WebOs, and the like.  You are able to access apps directly from the TV's OS. 

A non-smart TV or "dumb" tv is just a regular tv of old.  Basically just comes with a TV tuner.

By adding a seperate streaming device like a Roku device, a Firestick, a Google Chromecast, or an Onn Streaming device, you are adding a "smart OS" via a HDMI connection.  You can use multiple streaming devices on a TV as well in order to have different OS available.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@shop99er 

I personally do not care for the RokuTV.  Too many times the Roku OS updates have bugs which not only affects the streaming experience but also affects the OTA/antenna experience. 

As the RokuTV gets older and the Roku OS gets more bloated/demanding, the performance also gets affected.  My 2019 Insignia RokuTV just crawls along. (I now only use it for troubleshooting.)  It was a happy day when I retired it for a 32inch non-smart HD Insignia TV that I had purchased for a computer monitor years back and threw one of my Roku Premiere+ devices on it.

I just like the experience of keeping the internet streaming seperate from the OTA/antenna.  Two remotes, but much less headaches when sitting down to watch TV.

If someone wanted to get a smart TV, I think it would make sense to get something with an OS different than the Roku OS, especially since you have Roku devices.  You can always use your Roku devices with another smart TV OS via the HDMI port and now have an alternate/additional smart OS in case a bug/bad update affects either one. (or a channel/app is having an issue playing on one of the platforms).

Also, I don't really like having the TV always connected to the internet when not in use, so I am not a big fan of the newer smart TVs and their data collection.  I much prefer to use a seperate streaming device that I can control its access by simply unplugging it when not in use.  It is getting harder to find non-smart TVs though.

shop99er
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm not even certain what constitutes a "smart tv".

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@shop99er 

A "Smart TV" comes equipped with an integrated operating system (OS) like FireTV, RokuTV, GoogleTV, AndroidTV, Samsung's Tizen, LG's WebOs, and the like.  You are able to access apps directly from the TV's OS. 

A non-smart TV or "dumb" tv is just a regular tv of old.  Basically just comes with a TV tuner.

By adding a seperate streaming device like a Roku device, a Firestick, a Google Chromecast, or an Onn Streaming device, you are adding a "smart OS" via a HDMI connection.  You can use multiple streaming devices on a TV as well in order to have different OS available.

shop99er
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks!

StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @AvsGunnar , since you use OTA a good bit, are there any digital antennas you recommend? I've tried a number of them (nothing expensive, as I'm not that far from broadcasting sources), and it's always a bit hit & miss. I've been using one for a couple years or so, and it's worked pretty well. However, sometimes it would act up (for some reason, mostly on Sunday mornings, when the political shows are on, and in the afternoon, when all the football games would play), and require moving it here or there. 

However, lately, it requires moving for almost every network, like if I have it one place for CBS, if I want to flip for our NBC, or ABC station, I have to again move it, and it makes it very frustrating (especially as I like flipping back & forth, or checking out what else is on during commercials, etc), not knowing from day to day, which position works on which channels...

I don't know why it would be fairly consistent for so long, then suddenly not be. I don't think any of the local networks suddenly moved their towers around, so I'm a bit stumped. And trying to pick another, is quite like rolling the dice. If there's any you think stand out, I'd greatly appreciate your advice, thanks.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@StevenCee 

I have an attic antenna that came with the house that I just wired to most of my TVs using coax. (That antenna has to be about 35 years old).  It really provides a great signal to all the connected TVs.

In a couple of the rooms that coax wasn't practical, I just have some old RCA rabbit ears attached to the individual TVs.

I did buy one of those flat antennas that you could mount near a window but that didn't work at all for me to bring in any stations.

Truthfully, I just use alot of older equipment that I have gathered through the years.  Most are RCA and GE antennas and they always seem to perform just fine for me. (I really doubt if any of these antennas cost me more than $10).  I am still a bit rural where I am so occasionally I do have to fiddle with the rabbit ears.  Some of my rabbit ears actually only have one ear but keep on working to bring in the signal.

I am not really up on all the new antenna equipment and signal amplifiers that serious OTA users use with problematic stations.  There is a guy on Youtube I used to watch called the "antenna man".  Might be worth a look if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/@AntennaMan.  

He is really good at reviewing antennas and solutions and letting viewers know what antennas to avoid (ie. just junk or scams).

StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar  I should've figured going with the oldies but goodies probably makes the most sense, thanks!

0 Kudos
Alboricua

Jump to solution

Roku tv is excellent except you cannot use Google to download an app, unless is a Roku approved app, unfortunately I just gave away two Roku streaming devices and kept the tv which is ok, but I also have a Samsung that allows any app you want to install so as for the tv is ok, 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.