Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CaseousCalc
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku TV Screen Won't Turn On

Jump to solution

Definitely if you don't have the right tools, comfort level, or time, repairing might not be worth it. I outlined how I repaired the bad LED on my 58inch Sharp Roku TV here and in some posts after it. Cost me about $45 for the LED tester and replacement LED. Repairing it was worth it for me because otherwise I would have used it as an excuse to upgrade to a pricier 65inch. I don't recommend for people without electronics experience. I think if you've built a PC before, or wired a smart switch, then it's in your abilities. 

Took a few hours of time. You don't have to worry about the suction cups, removing boards, or dust free environment. May need a hot air gun or torch to soften the adhesive the LEDs are stuck with. A multimeter will help confirm its an LED issue. 

AKBadBoy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

CaseousCalc,
You are correct! Not only do you need the special tools, including glass suction cups for removing the big, thin sheets that sandwich the LED strips, you need a fairly dust free area to do the repairs in. By the time you buy the tools and the strips, factor in your time, this tedious work is not worth it. It's just a shame that television manufacturers know what the problem is, yet they haven't fixed it. The reason is obvious. To think that a $500 television can become an over-sized paperweight in just over a year because of a cruddy LED strip, is just aggravating. Thanks for the input!

AKBadBoy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

CaseousCalc,
Sorry if our posts are "crossing in the mail" so to speak. You obviously know much more about fixing this issue than I do. The video that I watched was pretty detailed and was very likely done in a shop with all of the tools one could possibly ever need to work on televisions. Just getting to the LED strips had me rocking backwards with a headache. I decided that I didn't need a project of that size. I went to a spare room and yanked the TV out of there. There is also a good post that recommends turning down the brightness to help give the LEDs a longer life span. Hopefully, people will read these posts and find them helpful. BTW, my "retired" television was a Sharp/Roku Model LC-58Q7330U.

Thanks again for the great input!

0 Kudos
Donmikes
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Exactly..they are disposable pieces of **bleep**..mine just died exactly two years after I bought it. 

0 Kudos
Donmikes
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It’s not better to just buy a new TV….you can just replace the LED strips for 50 bucks

0 Kudos
Donmikes
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

In the amount of time you took to wrote all of this disparaging nonsense you could of had all the screws out and screen separated from the plastic cover over the LEDs by now lol. It’s a simple FIX. For 50 bucks you can replace ALL the LED strips in a 50” television. 

0 Kudos
DShannon79

Jump to solution

Same tv same issue! I dont get how a tv breaks in 2 years and its mounted!!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @DShannon79

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

If you are experiencing the same issue as this thread's title, I'd suggest starting with contacting the TV manufacturer to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TVCana
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I called them and they told me it's going to be a garbage...That's all.

After 1 year and half months is out of warranty.

AKBadBoy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Donmikes,
I'm not sure what "disparaging nonsense" you are referring to. I've had the back off of my 58" Sharp/Roku television 3 times swapping out the power and main boards trying to find the answer in the hopes that I could help some of the folks that, like me, are frustrated at the lack of caring by the makers of these TVs when they die after 13 months of use. It wasn't until recently that someone posted the information about the light strips being the probable cause and by then, I had bought a new one. But I did take the time to watch the video on how to change out the strips, and what I saw is exactly what I put in my post, nothing more and nothing less. As I stated, I'm not an electrician or television repair person, I'm a firefighter/paramedic who, like most people, just want to turn on my television and not have to deal with shoddy electronics that make up its guts. When you get that piece of *bleep* television apart and back together again and up and running, let folks know how it went and if it was 5 minute walk in the park. As for the amount of time it took me to type out this response - 3 or 4 minutes. The amount of time it will take me to respond to any further questions or concerns on the topic? Zero minutes, because I'm done. You've shown me that taking my time and effort to share what I've found out with others, is a waste of those resources, so thanks for that. Anything further would just be redundant anyway. Good luck and be well, Donmikes.