Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Why is the picture so dark, when viewing via the website?

@RokuNimfa-C  I've attached a screenshot. It's really ridiculous, as every scene looks like it's filmed in the dark of night, all this while my computer's settings are with the screen brightness up very high. No other videos, that I stream on any other sites, show up this dark. I've done this with several browsers, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Edge, etc. and it's like this pretty much all the time. On occasion, it will stream "normally", but that's maybe 20% of the time. I never have this issue on my TV, and can't figure out what else I can do...

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 12.46.47 AM.jpg

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why is the picture so dark, when viewing via the website?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @StevenCee.

May we know what streaming channel this is and what particular show or episodes this issue occurs in? Is it happening on all of the shows you have browsed through the website? What steps have you taken so far in an attempt to fix the issue?

Please keep us informed.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

WHY IS THIS POST HERE????   I replied to a thread I had begun months ago, last night, and it somehow ended up here, as a new topic, and in the WRONG CATEGORY AS WELL!
The actual thread is:  Why is the picture so dark, when viewing via the w... - Roku Community   Which not only didn't add my post above, nor are there any REPLY buttons showing, so I can't even move this response to the correct thread!  What's going on Roku???

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuJanadeeK I've already posted steps I've taken, and it's not on any one particular show or channel!
How many times must I repeat myself? It's very frustrating when no matter how many details are given, issues aren't ever actually addressed, much less fixed.... And why was my original thread apparently closed, and my response with the screenshot, shuttled off to this category?  This site is a royal mess, and tends to be nothing more than a waste of time and effort.

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Apologies for the delays in response, @StevenCee.

We appreciate all this information. We're happy to continue assisting.
We have tried to reproduce this issue on our end, but it seems that the show is currently available. Is the issue still happening on your end? Are you able to access this show? If so, please get back to us as soon as you can so we can continue helping you with this concern and flag it directly with our appropriate team.

We're hoping for your response.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuJanadeeK  What "show" do you keep referring to? It's NOT any one show, but most of the shows I've seen on my computer. Once in a while one will play in "normal light", but most all look like they were filmed at night, with barely any light. 

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Still seeing most shows on the computer, looking like it's the middle of the night!  This doesn't happen when streaming videos from YouTube, other websites, or apps on my computer, only Roku.
Also, shows in English still show captions underneath, even though I have it selected OFF!
They also are so far behind the actual dialog, it makes it even a far greater distraction!  Why won't this feature work, if I turn off captioning, they should not appear on the screen, but they do...

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuJanadeeK  Yes, this aggravating lack of lighting on-screen is still happening. It seemed to work OK for about a week or so, so I hopefully thought the issue may have been resolved, but no, it's doing it again. This is streaming over the internet onto my iMac..  Not only does every scene now look like it's shot in the dark of night, but there is no longer the Play/Pause button below on the toolbar!!  The only way to stop a show is to hit the Back button, which opens the main home page. What is going on? Both of these issues began happening simultaneously, so I have to figure some software update occurred, but which only made things worse.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuJanadeeK  Still happening. It may be ok for a little while, then it slips into darkness again, and it makes viewing shows quite unpleasant, as they all look like they were shot at night, with nothing but candlelight, as everything is just shadowy looking. 
Also, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PLAY/PAUSE BUTTON??   It's no longer there, so if I want to stop or just pause the show, I have to go back to the menu page, as there's no way to pause it.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @StevenCee.

We appreciate the information you provided and sincerely apologize for the delays in responding. Rest assured, we will conduct a thorough investigation regarding this matter. 

I've tried to reproduce this on my end by watching random shows on The Roku Channel via the website, but I haven't noticed any darkness or change in display brightness. Could you please confirm if this happens randomly on any shows? If you're able to provide a short video clip of it happening, that would be really helpful.

In addition, I have also checked and the Pause/Play button is available on The Roku Channel website. If you haven't seen it on your end, kindly provide me with a photo of it for reference. 

I'll be looking forward to your update so we can assess your concern better and provide you with the most accurate resolution.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.