Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCL Roku tv, Amazon prime/Netflix glitched green screen

Echoing this issue. I have a TCL 55” 4k TV purchased May 2021 (TCL 55R635). Every so often I get a scrambled predominately green screen when trying to play episodes and movies on Netflix. I don’t watch much Prime TV so I can’t confirm or deny. The only way to fix this is to delete the Netflix channel, manually reboot the system under System menu, then re-add Netflix. It happens every couple weeks. It’s very annoying and I hope a there’s firmware update soon to fix this.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: TCL roku tv, Amazon prime/Netflix glitch screen

Hello @Sept21isToday

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you try checking and observing other channels if the same issue occurs? Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Rrack
Reel Rookie

Thanks so much for the reply.  Yes, it’s happened on Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and AppleTV. and possibly others.  Just every couple weeks, sometimes more often, when selecting something to watch, the video appears to start then freezes with a static green screen.  Nothing appears to fix it until I unplug the tv and try it again.  Seems like something is getting corrupted.  I’ll try and take a phot next time it happens.

Thanks again,
Robert
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Rrack

Thanks for the details.

Could you try the clean install troubleshooting on one to two of the affected channels? To do this, you remove the channel and then reinstall it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Surt
Reel Rookie

It's the Roku OS and the apps.  Not a hardware failure, but a time of use incremental deficit.  Tedious uninstall/reinstall never a fix.

I noticed a remarkable decrease over time in the stability and usability of my 55S535 that I purchased in February of 2021 having v9.4.0.  (BTW, I never expected its VA panel to be as awesome as it is!  48 zone local dimming does a really good job, too.)

It began with v10.0 in May 2021 and got worse with v10.5 in November 2021.

But with the arrival of v11.0 in May of this year, I have had to restart my TV more times to date than I've had to do for the entire period of use with v9 & v10.  From rock solid to reset-city in about 15 months.

Since I bought the TV, the apps have, or course, received updates though I have not kept track of the versions.  But that an update has arrived is evident by subtle or obvious changes in the "look and feel."  For example, the latest HBO Max now has posters that expand to about three times their size when selected and then shrinks when you move to the next poster which expands and so on, the "improvement" being the same exact graphic and text, only larger.  Over time, for all the apps, the improvements are more visuals and animations that download and render in real time.  The Roku app Search, once a nice simple text listing that populated as one "typed" in a search, now populates with graphics and ellipsis truncated text instead.  In navigating the Roku home or in an app, I often find myself hitting a cursor key more than once then realizing I was waiting on some visual to render or update.

There is a term for this:  bloat.  Bloat eats up resources and wrecks havoc on temporary caching where "leaks" occur which fragment memory spaces in RAM as the CPU tries to keep up with the GPU and vice versa.  The kind of failures described in this topic ARE leaks, confirmed by the users here of the universal "fix" of a restart which clears/resets the cache with things being OK for a while, then they're not.  A hardware problem would persist immediately after a restart.

In my case, the most egregious of the failures occur in Hulu, HBO Max and Disney+.  Hulu gets me a full screen of green trash.  The other two get me a black screen with forever animated dots and spinning pinwheel immediately after the HDR or Dolby notify.  I can back out to the home screen and watch Netflix or YouTube TV and go back to either of the others for a repeat failure to play; network is OK, which is wired Ethernet.  All "fixed" only by a restart, every time, all the time.  Until they're unfixed again. Netflix and Prime are problematic, but not a bad as the others.

FYI:  the Settings > System > Power > System Restart is all that's needed.  The "secret hidden menu" or a complete power unplug works, but requires more work to do.  With the latter, holding down the power button for 20 seconds will "drain" the RAM without having to wait 10-15 minutes before plugging it back in.

So, as our sets age, accept the restart as a routine.  I wonder how much my TCL will suffer when the awaited v11.5 shows up.  Or when HBO graphics will spin and pulsate.

As well, I foresee a time when my Roku TV will hardly keep up at all and by that time there should be a far more powerful Roku Ultra-whatever device to stuff into an HDMI port.

Cheers.

0 Kudos

Resetting worked first try! Easy fix!! THANK YOU. Recovering from surgery. Looking forward to catching up on my favorite shows. Lol Thank you

0 Kudos
dhirajkumar
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL Roku tv, Amazon prime/Netflix glitched green screen

i was also facing the same issue on my TCL Roku tv but after some research i found a post . which says for some changes and i made changes and now my TCL TV Green screen issue has resolve.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.