Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThisTVisGarbage
Channel Surfer

Screen goes black and won’t come back

Yes my topic has been posted before. But since it’s a closed thread I can’t hop into it and say NONE of these solutions have worked for a TV that is just over a year and a half old. Literally have tried everything suggested and the TV will not work for more than half a second when it turns on I see the logo for like .4 of a second then it’s gone but I can still hear audio. So since none of the “solutions” worked and calling Roku factory support means they get you to do everything you already tried I need new different solutions not talked about in the previous thread on this.

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
ThisTVisGarbage
Channel Surfer

Re: Screen goes black and won’t come back

So I just went through 38 pages of comments on the last thread that Roku decided to close out because it “wasn’t relevant” anymore. Guess what if this problem is still happening I don’t care if it was caused by an old O.S. Clearly you did it again in one of your updates. Also it was quite telling that in closing it out you finally admitted this problem was from YOUR O.S. After 37 pages of telling people it was the tv not your updates to your software. So what are you gonna do, tell us it’s still our tvs when the same problem is happening across EVERY brand of tv Roku has partnered with? Do you expect us to be that stupid that 3 different tv companies are having the same problem at the same time? No it’s your Roku O.S. So FIX IT already. And if your O.S. Is actually bricking these tvs so it is a physical problem in the tv if your O.S. Caused it you are in charge of recall/refund not the company whose tvs YOU are breaking Roku.

0 Kudos
Mal3
Reel Rookie

If it is any help, you’re not alone!! This exact thing is happening to me too and I’ve tried EVERYTHING. And when you press the reset button at the back and turn it on, the factory settings pop up, but only for a SPLIT SECOND like the logo. It’s ridiculous

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @ThisTVisGarbage @Mal3 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear about this, and we would like to gather more information since the old thread has been closed. What specific issue are you having regarding the black screen propmt? Also, is this happening to a particular channel, through the Home screen, or during a boot phase? 

Please tell us more about this so we can assist further.

Your response would be much appreciated.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mal3
Reel Rookie

Hello!

Yes, my screen has had this issue for two days. It originally started when I had went to turn my tv on in the morning, I noticed that when I turned it on, the logo would flash for a brief moment, but then the screen would become completely black with no visuals. Although there were sounds when clicking the remote (which does not even happen with mine any more for some reason), there were no visuals to accompany them. Only by turning the tv off and on again could I see a brief glimpse of the Roku logo or my homescreen.

Here are the steps that I’ve completed so far to try to fix it:

1. Unplugging the tv for various periods of time and replugging it in before turning it on.

2. Unplugging the tv, holding the physical power button on the tv for 40 seconds to drain the power, and then waiting 60 seconds before turning the tv on again.

3. Pressing the reset button by the pins to reset the tv to factory settings. Upon doing this, my factory settings were restored, but I could, again, only see them for a brief second before complete darkness.

Thanks,

Mal3
0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @Mal3

May we know how you are powering your Roku device? Is it through a power strip or to a direct power source? We recommend plugging it in into a direct wall outlet if you've not plugged it into one. Also, could you please send us an image referring to the black screen issue you've encountered? Is this only a dim, or a total blackness of the screen?

Please keep us posted, then we'll proceed with the necessary actions to address this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bondspb

Have tried the unplug and reset. TV is less than a year old. Phillips 50 in.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Bondspb, if it's under a year old then it should still be covered by Philips' warranty.

Where can I get support for my Roku TV™? | Official Roku Support

http://www.philips.com/support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
donofvan
Reel Rookie

Update:

Solution: Fix LED Backlights or Buy A New TV

See this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H192s_KSRBU

It appears the leds are the issue. Do what the guy says in the video, shine a flashlight on your screen after you turn it on. Also hit the Neflix button, It will make it easier to see the screen.

Feel like fixing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwFpsafgOX8

Find your model number on the back and order lights from Amazon ie: https://www.amazon.ca/4C-LB5508-HR02J-4C-LB5508-HR03J-4C-LB5508-HR06J-4C-LB5507-HR02J-4C-LB5507-HR03...

I'm not that handy so I ended up going from a 65" TCL to a 70" TCL at Costco for $699. I comes with a 3 years warranty from Coscto and I believe an extra year if you purchase with a Costco CC. My 65" lastest 4 years and was turned on non stop for all that time as it was also my extended laptop monitor.

I did try the unplug for 5 mins fix and that did work for 2 weeks but doesn't anymore. You may want to try that first and see if you can get some more life out of your TV.

0 Kudos
ThisTVisGarbage
Channel Surfer

Hi thanks for your cut and paste answer that shows me you didn’t read the post or follow up response at all. If you did you wouldn’t be asking me questions I already answered.

0 Kudos