Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Roku Ultra remote to control Roku TV volume and power also

I have a TCL Roku TV that is having app issues where they crash after viewing for several minutes (YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime). The TV screen is still clear. I connected an unused Roku Ultra to one of the HDMI ports to use instead of the built in Roku OS on the TV.  I attempted to setup the Ultra remote to connect to the TCL TV so I can control the Ultra functions and the TV's volume, mute and power. 

After several attempts, I was unable to connect the Ultra remote to the TV. Is it possible to control two Roku devices with the same remote? If not, is there another remote that can do what I want? I would rather not give up on the TV yet but do not want to use two remotes.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use Roku Ultra remote to control Roku TV volume and power also

I have two different TCL Roku TVs with Roku devices connected to them and two Voice Remote Pros controlling the power/volume of the TVs.  One uses IR and the other uses CEC.  If you haven't tried "CEC setup" under "Set up remote for TV control" on the Ultra, give it a try.

You will still need the TV's remote to change the TV's input or for antenna channels.  There's no way use one remote to control both the TV (other than power and volume) and the Ultra at the same time.  If you get all your content through a Roku device, you can set up the TV to always power on to the Ultra's HDMI input.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.