Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylDixon
Visitor

TCL Roku TV loses wifi connection and then can't find any wifi networks

Jump to solution
Hello everyone,,
The happens at least once a day (or more). Watching Netflix (and other channels), then get a network connection error and prompts me to set up new connection. I go to the network setup and scan for wifi networks and none can be found. My laptop in the same room is connected to same wifi with no issues.
I have then go to Settings -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Network connection reset -> Reset Connection.
This will reboot the roku TV and once it comes back up I am able to setup the wifi connection   like normal and everything works until this same cycle happens after a few hours of  using it.
My roku is updated to the latest software.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: TCL Roku TV loses wifi connection and then can't find any wifi networks

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing. 

You can take a look here to see some tips for improving the wireless connection to a Roku device: 
https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

In general, you'll want to start by contacting your TV's manufacturer directly to report the issue you're running into and request help. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides primary support for their devices, and can best assist with additional troubleshooting and any other warranty related options. 

Thanks,
Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
101 REPLIES 101
jeffrok
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
There's a known bug with some of the newer software.. happens to me. They're supposedly working on a fix, but it's been happening to me for over a month.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
twiceover
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
According to this article you should be able to do a factory reset to get the up to date firmware.  

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku-ro ... -roku-tvs/

Not sure if it will help or not though.  Might be waiting on other updates.
0 Kudos
Doctor_Manhatta
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
ith a small cardboard box, which he handed to me while saying "try these". Inside the box were two white-wall-cube-type thingies. They each had some L.E.D.s and an Ethernet jack on them. You plug one into a 120V outlet near your router, and then connect the cube and the router with an Ethernet cable. Then you do the same with the other cube near your Roku, connecting the Roku the same way. This gives you a reliable Ethernet connection between your Roku and your router. I checked the connection strength between the two cubes using an app provided by their manufacturer, They're good for between 600 and 850 mps in my location, which is WAY more than I need. That was the end of my connection problems with my Roku Ultra.

It has been perfect for over a year now, which is why I purchased another pair of the "cubes" (they are sold in pairs) when we bought our new TCL TV this Christmas. Before I ever turned on the TV, I connected it to an Ethernet "cube" (apparently, once your router is connected to your house's wiring with a cube, you can have a total of 16 cubes connected on your "home network"). When I then turned on the TCL for the first time, the internet connection was already "hot" and I proceeded to update the firmware in both the TV and the built-in Roku. This connection is on another floor in our house, so I again checked the connection speed, which was around 350 mps...still a good 20 times what I would need to stream 4k.

I know you don't want to hear that your Roku TV has an unreliable WiFi system, and maybe it actually doesn't...maybe there is some other extenuating problem, unrelated to your TV's Roku/WiFi, that's causing your connection problem. Heck, I still don't know what the problem was with my own Roku Ultra, but whatever it was, it was rendered moot when I bypassed the whole RF connection issue with these Ethernet wall cubes. So, if you can't solve your connection problem, I just wanted you to be aware that there is another, iron-clad, solution that's available to you...[/font][/color]

Sorry about the weird character string in the first paragraph...I don't know what happened, but it's my first post here.
jeffrok
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
It's a known bug with the wifi disabling on the TCL (and maybe other brands) Roku TV's, brought on by a software update sometime between October and December..

As I said, Roku is aware of the problem, and they are working on a fix.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Build_it_Bob
Visitor

Jump to solution
My Roku Express 3900X suddenly lost wifi signal today. I did all the reset procedures, but there were no wireless networks in range.
I confirmed full signal with my laptop, as well as 6 other wireless networks in range.
I was only able to connect to my wireless network if I set up the Roku in the same room as the main wireless router.
The issue appears to be a sudden loss in wireless reception with the Roku.
I am not sure if this is an internal issue, or if it is a bug with the version 9.0.0 build 4083-51 ?
-the signal should have been 100%, but the Roku is indicating weak signal.
Note that I have been using the Roku without any signal issues at all , before today.
Do I try to take the Roku in as it is still under warranty?
Do I wait to see to see if it is a bug?
Bob

0 Kudos
Englishcandle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Yes, this has been happening to us for about 3 or 4 months. I’m ready to get a new tv if they don’t resolve it soon! The fix is to unplug the unit and then it can reconnect to a WiFi network.
Markp
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Same issue here. Sometimes it's good for days but then I have to check connection to re-connect. I have excellent wi-fi so that's not the problem. Anybody out there know of a permanent solution? Appreciated.
0 Kudos
Googlieeyes
Visitor

Jump to solution
My ROKU TV has been working fine for a little over a month and today it's gone crazy. It refuses to log in to the one network that it's been logged into but I can get it to log into another one, albeit poorly. It's literally sitting beside the router, but it keeps saying the internet connection is bad so I can barely stream. I tested my speed and it's beautiful, all other devices are connecting and running with ease. I see this is a known issue, but that doesn't much help me out now. What are my options for fixing this or an I best to just return it at this point? I've noticed this has been an issue on the boards from years past as well which doesn't make me feel very positive.
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing. 

You can take a look here to see some tips for improving the wireless connection to a Roku device: 
https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

In general, you'll want to start by contacting your TV's manufacturer directly to report the issue you're running into and request help. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides primary support for their devices, and can best assist with additional troubleshooting and any other warranty related options. 

Thanks,
Tanner

0 Kudos