Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TN2
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL Roku TV & Google Home

Jump to solution

After playing with this for a while now I see 3 ways to fix it.

Roku did this a few years ago with getting rid of downloads and things as well, they never notified anyone and played dumb until people forgot about it.  First, lets deal with reality.  Lipstick on a pig.  Roku is the same as a $50 Android box on Amazon except with Roku you cannot download whatever you want to it.  Yes the box is bult in to the TV and it tells the manufacturer OS to boot directly to it.  It also charges monthly fees 5 times the price and is very limited on content.  Good idea but they have closed vision and their mindset on larger things like taking over Google Home that will destroy the company.  They stepped over a $100 bill to pick up pennies.   The Good part about it is that you don't have a separate box to plug in to HDMI 1 so that it turns on and off with the TV.  Now you can  put a sound bar in to your HDMI1 port that turns on and off when you turn your TV on and off.  Sound bars are Google compliant now as well and easy enough to set up a routine, so Roku has once again shot its in the foot with it's closed view of reality.  Very poor management.  Oh well, it is what it is.  The problem here is the pig with a bit of lipstick thinks it is now Miss America and has blocked everything outside of Roku thinking its customers will change out all their lights, alarm systems, window shades, plugs, Google Homes etc. because they were able to change a few start up screens and then overpriced their monthly fees on a $50 Android box. It's comical but sad that they are losing customers daily so they now try to force people to switch to them.  Welcome to the world of textbook management who are blind to the updates in technology around them and have no clue to their clients.  Simple fix to where they could do well but are too busy cheating people than to take a serious look and adjust their business.  The older sets still work if you installed Google and other software on them previously.  People say no, but they do and the updates do not affect them because people paid for some of the software and it would be illegal to not allow them to use it, Roku has to live with it until those sets **bleep** out and people replace them.  In truth it is illegal to do what they are doing now by saying they are compatible and then blocking Google Home and things when advertising that they do work with it.  I see a class action or full revamp of the company or a buy out or bankruptcy in their future.  The world is all about lying to people now of days with all the filters to make people skinnier or look prettier and Roku has decided to jump on the bandwagon instead of being a respectful business.  Lipstick on a pig and lying about the truth telling people they are Miss America is how they are dealing with it.  So how do you get around it and use voice to control your TV, this is what I have found.  Like I said, my old TV's work without  issues so, it is only the newer ones.

1.   Return the TV and get a Google TV.  This is what I did but only after finding the solution just because screw them.  I also emailed the the president of Roku and the TV manufacturers to notify them of the false advertising claims they are making on their packaging. 

2. Get a voice remote.  30 bucks online but then all you have to press the mic button each time.  PIA but works

3.  Get the new Pro remote for 80 bucks that is always listening and you can say Hey Roku <command> instead of Hey Google <command>.  Original thought by Roku, I think not.

That is the options going forward on Roku 

In the end, if it's a new TV because the old ones do work with Google and you cannot return it, I would recommend going on Amazon buying a Google plug, an Android box, connect it to an IPTV service for $10 per month with thousands of movies and channels and connecting it all to Google.  If you get the more expensive Android box ($100-$200) it will just be plug and play with voice and everything already setup then add your $10 per month subscription and you got much more than false advertising lipstick on a pig, you will have a separate box though. 

JustFrick
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You rock! you are 100% correct! 

I wish I could just "return" my TV and buy another brand, it's' not that easy, but I think you are spot-on with your last message! Corporate schmuks who see things on paper and get a gold-star from their superiors and think its a win-win...

0 Kudos
Brian4750
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Roku TV's should have a setting to boot to last Input or Home Screen.
Using this you can get a Google TV, Fire TV, or Apple TV Box and boot to HDMI 1.

Me, i am waiting for the Fix as i am past the return window for my TV Purchase.

I will go on saying Every Roku TV box i see in Stores regardless of the Manufacturer has a Works With Google Home label on it.

So i have no doubt it will be fixed.

FYI here is a screenshot of an Ad from Walmart for My Roku TV.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/b3fb4cec-ec03-4ac4-9538-79596c48cc40.e89dd02dbc38b52ce85a9a53170b88... 

Newton57
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Frustrated at the inability to link effectively our new Roku TCL TV with Google Home. 

It was this feature which attracted us to purchase the TV.

I have spent many hours reading and trying suggested remedies but still get the same final message.

I'm awaiting a solution as I'm clearly not the only disappointed person. 

Please help!

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Newton57,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us about this. We're sorry for the delay in our solution to this. Rest assured that this has been deeply investigated with the concerned team. However, we still don't have any updates available about this. Please also help us with this by sharing with us the same information requested about it.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Google Home version

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TN2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

To be fair.  I have been hammering the boards over this issue for a bit now and I was surprised to get a phone call from someone at Roku today.  Still not fixed but physically reaching out I do have to give them points for.  

Maybe they realized they went to far and really are looking into fixing it.  Hopefully they actually are taking it serious this time.  

To the post about wishing Roku could boot to last used device.  If I understand correctly, you would use something like an Android Box and just turn on the TV and go directly to the menu on the Android Box.  That does work so maybe my understanding of what you mentioned is wrong. Sorry if it is.

0 Kudos
Newton57
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

As requested re Newton57 and inability toi k to Google Home ...

About this device

Model number

G152GB

Software version

12.5.0:4176

Device ID

SOL8800MR7G5

MAC address

64:57:25:79:9c:de

IP address

Serial number

X01900EMR7G5

Uptime

66:10:

Something went wrong posted every time we try to use the control.

NB .. we bought the set since it states it is Google compatible which it clearly isn't, so we feel some

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Newton57,

Thanks for getting back to us!

We'll share this with the appropriate Roku team as an additional report. Currently, we still don't have any updates about this, but we'll make sure to drop in once we have one available.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
edicius828
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue as pretty much everyone else here.

My house has a total of five TCL Roku TVs of varying sizes. Two are new, purchased within the last few months. The three that were installed before that have had no issues with Google Home integration. These two new ones (both are model 32S357) will show as linked in Google Home, but can't be controlled at all and only get the dreaded "Something went wrong" error in the app.

Has to be a software/firmware version difference causing the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @edicius828,

Warm greetings from the Roku Community!
We'd like to take a closer look into this issue that you're experiencing. May we know what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.