cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlasterMaster
Reel Rookie

Re: Suddenly no sound from soundbar, HDMI ARC and CEC stopped working

Jump to solution

Yea, I think it's safe to say contacting a real person in help chat is gone forever. From now on all we will get is AI that barks out useless generic information. Soon that will include phone help as well.

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue albeit with a brand new Roku Select TV. None of the HDMI inputs seem to work - my soundbar works just find with the optical input, but I need that for my hearing aid device. I am thinking I bought a defective TV at this point.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I actually called and got a live voice! I was trying to figure out why my soundbar is not working on my new Roku TV. After a bit of back and forth, I was told that that the Roku TV I purchased does not support my soundbar. Funny thing is, it works just fine if I use the optical input (I need that however for another device) so the problem is not the soundbar support but the HDMI input on the TV. 

0 Kudos
BlasterMaster
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well, for me, I don't have a Roku TV. Just their soundbar.

0 Kudos
mjw72652
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a TCL Roku TV model 43S455 which has been working with an ONN soundbar for a couple of years. The eARC worked just fine all along, and the CEC worked with both the soundbar and my Sony Blu-Ray player. I just added an HDMI wireless receiver to another HDMI port to connect my Dell computer. Noe the soundbar HDMI does not work and the CEC does not work. The TV tells me there are no CEC devices connected to the TV. I tried changing the cable to the soundbar, resetting the audio on the TV, and every other solution I could find anywhere. The soundbar works just fine through the optical connection.

If I remove the HDMI receiver, everything works fine again- eARC and CEC both work.

I know this issue goes back at least 3 years, as I have found posts on various forums describing this exact issue- a specific HDMI device (there are many of them) connected to the TV causes this problem (and there are many different Roku TVs that exhibit it. When is Roku going to fix this? The scope of the problem indicates that this has to be a Roku software problem, not a hardware connectivity issue.

0 Kudos
kzipperle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

A solution that ultimately worked for me was to avoid using the HDMI ports on my Smart TV with Roku except for the HDMI-ARC port that you have to use with the soundbar. Disconnecting everything from the TV except the soundbar got the soundbar working for me. I'm making any additional HDMI connections through the soundbar directly. You shouldn't have to restrict yourself that way, but the embedded Roku app is apparently unreliable if you plug other HDMI devices into your TV.

0 Kudos
mjw72652
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, there is no way to plug any other HDMI devices into any of the three soundbars I have available. I am forced to use the optical output on the soundbar and turn it on and off separately from the TV, or turn it on and let it shut itself off automatically when it times out. This problem with the ROKU software is an old one- I have found posts on several forums going back at least three years. TCL is no help either- they appear to be totally clueless about this.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.