Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdgreenjr
Reel Rookie

Sound glitches after some time - high/low and distorted

It seems to be an older thread and I can't reply. 

I am having the same problem as https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Roku-Ultra-Volume-glitch-after-some-time-Volume-glitched-h...

I can see the user reports it was not solved. I have this problem on both of my Roku ultras on an LG TV with earc soundbar and a Samsung TV using the built in speakers and in various apps - Netflix, Hulu, peacock, max, etc. 

So it's not the TV, it's not the app, the Rokus are rebooted and fully updated. 

Unfortunately as this other poster wrote it is random - it might happen after a few minutes it might not happen at all it might happen after watching for a few hours. The only fix I've found is to hit back to stop whatever is playing and resume it. 

I had a thought last night while trying to Google this problem and not finding much other than the post above. Could it be a bug in the Roku sound leveling feature? I absolutely have that turned on both my TV's because I feel like everything is practically unwatchable without it. 

I will try watching with it off to see if it repeats but again unfortunately it is not intentionally repeatable. I was wondering if anyone else has thought about this or if Roku can consider reviewing the sound leveling function for problems?

edit: fixed typo

Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
mdgreenjr
Reel Rookie

Re: Sound glitches after some time - high/low and distorted

fwiw I just replaced my ancient I have no idea what version HDMI cables with name brand new ones. I will report back if this made a difference. 

0 Kudos
Cheetah15
Binge Watcher

I've never had this problem with any other apps. Just the DirectTV. When I need to leave sound on for my animals while gone, I have to exit DirectTV and switch to Pluto or something other then so this doesn't happen while I'm gone and affect others in my building. 

jatala22

I am having the same issue with a new HDMI cable and a Roku ultra. As @Cheetah15 has previously mentioned, it seems to only happen with the DirectTv streaming app as I am not sure I have noticed it with any other app. We are not using sound leveling as I thought this was the issue initially, but I have come to find out from my research there are others experiencing this problem as well. To fix it, I usually will either flip the channels or hit the fast forward or rewind button and it comes back to normal levels. AT&T needs to fix their app IMO.

mdgreenjr
Reel Rookie

yea new HDMI cable did not do anything. we for sure see it in Hulu, max, Apple TV, and I think prime TV. 

0 Kudos
Cheetah15
Binge Watcher

They are never going to fix this without a class action 

0 Kudos
LetyG

I have the same problem with my Hisense Roku 43in tv 

0 Kudos
Ackidds

Having same issue. Just replaced my old Roku stick which had sudden static or low volume- with a Roku ultra- now the volume can be at max and I can barely hear it. I’ve rest everything- double checked audio systems. Everything from all the threads. Unfortunately I think I am just gonna send it back and get an amazon stick. It’s sounds like Roku knows it’s an issue and does not care.

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community Users!

Thanks for flagging this here. We want to monitor this matter and help you resolve it as quickly as possible. 

More information would be needed to understand your concerns better and conduct further review and investigation. 

• When did you first notice this issue? 
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue? 
  • Did you receive an update recently? If so, please provide us with your latest software version. (Can be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Are you experiencing this on a specific channel or all the channels? 
  • Is your TV connected to a Roku Soundbar or a third-party Soundbar? 

By providing us with these details we will be able to review this case thoroughly and provide you the best resolution possible. 

We are anticipating your response. 

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.