Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PepperNixon
Channel Surfer

Setup Roku TV without internet

I want to buy a Roku-branded TV but hear rumors that I must have internet to be able to even set it up, otherwise it's impossible to use it in any mode. Is that true?

I understand I need internet to stream videos, but what if I want to use it in "dumb" mode to watch cable, HDMI or DVD in a location that doesn't have internet. Can I do that, or I'll have to take it somewhere where there is internet, to do the first-time setup?

Labels (1)
15 REPLIES 15
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Setup Roku TV without internet

Welcome to the Roku Community, @PepperNixon!

Thank you for posting your question about using your Roku TV without a network connection. I'd be happy to provide further information.

Establishing an active connection to your Wi-Fi network is essential for your Roku TV to access its full range of features and content. Without an active network connection, the only feature available is the ability to stream live TV through an antenna.

You may check our website to learn more about What is Roku.

Happy Streaming!
Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PepperNixon
Channel Surfer

You didn't answer my question at all.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@PepperNixon, you can set it up as a "dumb" TV.  That's how I prefer to use my so-called "smart" TVs, Roku or otherwise.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
PepperNixon
Channel Surfer

You didn't answer my question at all.

0 Kudos
PepperNixon
Channel Surfer

@RokuCarly you didn't provide any solution or answer to my question. I told you so. Still you mark your response as a "solution". This is weird.

Diyi75

Yes, you can set it up without internet. It will ask you if you want to connect during set up. Click "Set up internet later" and then it will let you set everything else up. I factory reset two of mine to use as computer monitors. 

0 Kudos
Lukejames12
Channel Surfer

Connect to Applekamp Wi-Fi disconnect Applekamp camera disconnect

0 Kudos
Lukejames12
Channel Surfer

Set up Wi-Fi Applekamp connected to Wi-Fi

0 Kudos
Lukejames12
Channel Surfer

Connect to Wi-Fi

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.