cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AaronW2021
Reel Rookie

Setting up Roku Speakers as FRONT with StreamBar Pro

Jump to solution

I have a Roku TV paired with the Roku StreamBar Pro.  I recently got a pair of Roku Speakers (9020X) but when I go through the setup / pairing, the only option I have is to set them up as REAR / SURROUND speakers.  I don't want that.  I want to use the speakers as FRONT LEFT and FRONT RIGHT and use the StreamBar as a Center Channel (or just augment the StreamBar as additional LEFT and RIGHT speakers).  Is that possible?  How can I do that?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Setting up Roku Speakers as FRONT with StreamBar Pro

Jump to solution

@AaronW2021 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware front speakers are supported with Roku Streambars as of Roku OS 10.5, allowing you to create systems up to 5.1. If your Roku Streambar is connected to Roku TV and running OS 10.5 or later and you do not see the option to add front speakers, check that your Roku TV and Streambar are updated to the latest OS version.

For more information about how to check for a system update, visit our Support page here: Update the software on your Roku

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Sorry but no. It isn't possible. If it were just the roku tv and roku wireless speakers you could, but add the roku soundbar and wireless speakers are only for surround sound. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AaronW2021
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That is really disappointing.  I wish/hope Roku updates the software to allow for this.  Since the software is already there to have the speakers operate in FRONT mode, presumably this just needs to be "enabled".  

0 Kudos
DaveMichel
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

A prior version of the software allowed you to set up the Roku expansion speakers as front while still routing sound to the Roku Streambar. But that capability was removed with subsequent updates. 

The reason I bought this system for my (hard of hearing) inlaws was specifically to have clear dialog on the Streambar and the Roku bluetooth speakers simultaneously, and I can't do that with the current firmware.  Extremely disappointing.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DaveMichel

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? Are you using a Roku TV with our Roku Streambar and Roku Wireless Speakers or just the audio products?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DaveMichel
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The source is a Samsung TV, not a Roku TV.

The goal is to prioritize dialog by routing it to the StreamBar (physically in front of the viewer) and Roku speakers (physically behind the viewer). The concern is not to have a 2.x experience, but rather to make dialog as intelligible as possible, playing on all speakers.

I was able to do this with the software that was on the system when I purchased it in July 2021 (my recollection is that I could set up the Roku extension speakers as rear channels and give dialog precedence, which then routed dialog to StreamBar and extension speakers). But I can't do it with the current software update, no matter how I configure the speakers (font or rear) or adjust the settings.

Can I somehow revert to the software that was working on July 2021? Or is there another way to accomplish this goal?

And, yes, when I first had this working last year, I tested with a variety of audio sources - 5.1, stereo, mono and a bunch of differently encoded multichannel sources (my in-laws have a Dish receiver). I could get dialog on all speakers with all sources.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@AaronW2021 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware front speakers are supported with Roku Streambars as of Roku OS 10.5, allowing you to create systems up to 5.1. If your Roku Streambar is connected to Roku TV and running OS 10.5 or later and you do not see the option to add front speakers, check that your Roku TV and Streambar are updated to the latest OS version.

For more information about how to check for a system update, visit our Support page here: Update the software on your Roku

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DaveMichel 

Thanks for the post.

To hear dialog from the rear speakers, try using the Expanded stereo “Music” setting. This setting duplicates the front left and right audio to the rear speakers when stereo content is detected. Surround content will still use the rear speakers as surround speakers, however. We recommend trying the new Auto speech clarity mode, available in OS 11.0. This feature automatically detects speech and makes it louder from the front speakers.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DaveMichel
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

As of my post almost two months ago, I had updated the software to the current version (I don't know the version number - I live about three hours from the system).

My use case is one StreamBar (not the Pro) and two Roku speakers. I want dialog in each.

I have tried installing the speakers as front, and as rear. Neither option worked for getting dialog in both of the speakers as well as the StreamBar.

1. When the Roku speakers are installed as front, the StreamBar goes mute (this didn't happen when I first installed the system). Can I revert to the version of software that worked? That would solve this issue.
  2. When the Roku speakers were installed as rear, I could find no way to get dialog routed to them. Does OS 10.5 allow routing dialog to the rear speakers when there are no front speakers? If so, that would solve this issue.
0 Kudos
MadLadDad

Jump to solution

Came here with the same question and I have to say this is really disappointing. Roku, there are a lot of us out there that don't want rear speakers. We want to add a dedicated front left and front right to our streambar. Combined with the sub, this would make for a fantastic 3.1 experience.

If this was possible, I would buy the speakers today, but having the Streambar turn off if the speakers are moved to the front is unacceptable. The Streambar should adjust to a true center channel in this use case.