Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
infomavn
Reel Rookie

Screen reader won't turn off, but it's set to OFF in Roku settings and HBO settings

Jump to solution

My partner accidentally turned the audio reader on, he's not sure how, and now we can't shut it off.  Have it set to OFF in both Roku settings and HBO Max settings, but it is still on in at least HBO Max!  Forgot to check other locations, but I suspect it is stuck on somehow.

We even tried a factory reset.  When we press the shortcut - **** - the reader says it's set to OFF, but it continues to stay ON, even though it says OFF.  Can this feature break so that it can't be turned off?  Not sure what else to try.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
infomavn
Reel Rookie

Re: Screen reader won't turn off, but it's set to OFF in Roku settings and HBO settings

Jump to solution

We finally fixed it!  In HBO Max, while you are playing a movie or show, there is a little box with lines in it at BOTTOM RIGHT of the screen.  Click on it and set "Audio-English original Subtitles" to OFF.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Screen reader won't turn off, but it's set to OFF in Roku settings and HBO settings

Jump to solution

@infomavn 

Are you sure it is the Screen Reader/Audio Guide (This voice basically reads the text on the screen  and verbally alerts you of changed Settings.)

There is another feature that is more of an Audio Narrarator that describes what is occuring on the screen during a movie/show.  (ie. Jack jumps over the hill, falls down, kind of thing).  

Normally to disable this, you press the * button during the show, select Accessibility and Captions, then select the Audio Track. (sometimes you have to toggle between the different English tracks to discern which one includes the narration).  For HBO Max, the audio track used to include the words "Descriptive". 

Hopefully that is the cause of your issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

sortiz0801

Jump to solution

I am having this same issue with Paramount plus, It's off but it's still saying everything the character is doing, so annoying!  I don't know what else to do as I have done all the suggestions.  Anyone have ideas???

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@sortiz0801 

This behavior is definitely included in an audio track somewhere.  Perhaps you are overlooking an audio track selection somewhere (either from Roku with the * button, or from within the Paramount+ Channel/app itself.  As indicated above, if you see two or more English audio tracks, try toggling between them.

From the Paramount help page (https://help.paramountplus.com/s/article/PD-How-do-I-turn-on-accessibility-features-like-closed-capt...), describes the screen reader and closed captioning, so I do not think there are additional audio tracks from within the app itself.  Also did not see any additional info regarding changing languages so i would infer it is accomplished in the manner above by pressing *button and the appropriate track.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

infomavn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We finally fixed it!  In HBO Max, while you are playing a movie or show, there is a little box with lines in it at BOTTOM RIGHT of the screen.  Click on it and set "Audio-English original Subtitles" to OFF.

Norac

Jump to solution

Were you able to fix your issue with Paramount+ and the screen reader? We've tried everything but cancelling our subscription in order to delete the app and reinstall and then renewing our subscription. There's but even a way to uninstall the paramount+ app. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Norac

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What channel are you experiencing this issue with? What are your settings on? Do you have closed captioning on? What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Stacyg

Jump to solution

I am also unable to turn off the narrator on Paramount Plus. Very annoying. Has anyone found a solution for this? 

Katiefff

Jump to solution

Had the same exact issue. I went into the options while in Paramount Plus, then went to the "accessibility and captions" part of the menu. In there there was an "audio track" option that had 2 options that said "English". The one that it was currently on had "descriptive" listed under it and the 2nd English option didn't so I switched to that and it fixed the issue. 

Jump to solution

i am experiencing the same in paramount +. screen reader won't turn off. why won't anyone help us with this issue