Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carrollfam
Reel Rookie

Roku TV powers on unexpectedly

I have a ROKU TV Model 65R4A5R that performs well but has a problem. After the TV is powered off, such as for going to bed, or leaving on a trip, it powers on by itself, approximately 30 minutes after being powered off. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a relatively easy fix? If not, I will request Roku replace it under warranty.

Tx,

Jim

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku TV powers on unexpectedly

Hi @carrollfam,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you flagging us about this behavior with your Roku TV. We'd like to help you with this and see what's going on here.

Let us know...

• How long have you been experiencing this?
  • Is this a sporadic case or does it happen intermittently?
  • Are there any changes that might be related to this?

Please let us know more about this so that we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rproven

I have had the same happen multiple times with a model 43R4A5R TV, I turn it off at night and a short time later it has turned itself back on.

We have had it for about a month and nothing has changed with it since installation.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @rproven,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We want to investigate this issue further with your Roku TV, which keeps turning on by itself. Is there a stuck button that you're seeing on your Roku remote? Please try to restart your Roku TV by going to settings, system, power, and system restart. Try to see if that will be able to fix the issue that you're seeing.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
carrollfam
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your questions. The TV powers on erratically in that it might not power up every time after it has been turned off. It typically powers up without the remote approximately 30 +/- minutes after being turned off. This happens approximately 50% of the time. It happens usually at night after we have gone to bed, but also happens throughout the day if the TV has been turned off. I have removed the batteries from the remote before going to bed in the possibility that it might be causing this phenomena, but the TV still powers up on its on. I cannot think of any cause for this happening. The remote is line-of-sight, so I doubt any neighbor could be causing this inadvertedly because our closest neighbor is not close to our house, and there is no clear path for a signal from his remote that could be causing this. This started happening approximately 3 months ago, ie, October or November 2023.

0 Kudos
carrollfam
Reel Rookie

John, the problem is not that it turns OFF by itself, it is that it turns ON by itself.

Jim

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @carrollfam,

Thank you for the additional information!

We understand you're having a problem with the Roku TV since it was turning on by itself. No worries; help is here. Please try the troubleshooting steps below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Time.
  5. Select Sleep timer.
  6. Choose a time interval (30 minutes, 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours, 3 hours).

To modify an existing sleep timer, repeat the steps above and select a different time interval, or cancel the sleep timer.

You can also view this support article by clicking on it.

Tell us how it goes, and we'll be here to help you even more.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.