Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Black screen on two out of three TCL TVs.

@JodiPen

Thanks for getting back to us!

You can send me those serial numbers via PM.

To send a private message:

1. Sign in to the community.
  2. Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
  3. Click Compose New Message.
  4. Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.

Note: Depending on your role in the community, you might be able to send a message to a group of users based on their role or rank in the community. If so, you can choose a role or a rank.

5. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
  6. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
  7. Click Send Message.

We'll take care of the rest of the information there.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JodiPen
Channel Surfer

Ok I just sent them to you. 

0 Kudos
JodiPen
Channel Surfer

So TCL Support was zero help too. Joe I have two TCL tvs that I’m going to take a bat to and place the video online so everyone knows NEVER to buy these tvs. 

0 Kudos
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku tv screen goes black

I have the same issue on the same model with all subscriptions Netflix,Spectrum, Prime Apple TV, etc.

Currently the only solution is to reboot the Roku unit and all is good for a few days. I have not contacted Roku support but likely need to.

Attached is an image of my version and build.

1000004028.jpg

Please chime in if somebody has a solution.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Media_Guy,

We appreciate your post,

Thank you for reaching out to us about the black screen issue. We're pleased to assist.

• Is this the first time you set up/activated this Roku device?. If NOT, is this the first time you have experienced this issue?
  • Is your TV currently powered on and connected to a wall outlet?
  • Do you have an antenna, cable, or other device connected to your TV?
  • Can you please check if your TV is connected to the correct TV input/source?
  • Is the issue happening on all contents/channels or is this isolated to 1 content/channel?

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

Answers to your questions.

• The new device model 3941x2 Roku Express 4K+ was purchased and setup in November 2023.  This issue has occurred more than 6 times since November 2023.  Current Roku Software is 12.5.5 - build 4174-E4
  • The TV is powered on and connected to a wall outlet.
  • The Roku unit is powered on and connected to a wall outlet.
  • I have Spectrum cable, no other device is connected to the TV.
  • The Roku device is connected to HDMI port #1.
  • The issue IS happening on all contents/channels. 
  • For all contents/channels there is Audio but no Video when this occurs. 

A Roku reboot thru the Roku menu resolves the issues each time.  The Roku menu functions with Video, only contents/channels are the issue with blank video - screen goes black.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Media_Guy,

Thank you for your prompt response.

First, make sure the TV is turned on and press a button on the Roku remote control to ensure that the Roku device is not in standby or screensaver mode.

These are the most common reasons you may not see the picture on your TV:

1. You have the wrong input (source) selected on your TV

• This is extremely common and an easy mistake to make. Most TV’s have several video inputs on the back or side of the TV that are used for connecting different devices such as a cable box, gaming console, and of course, Roku player. You must select the input (sometimes referred to as source) that matches the one to which you have the Roku player connected.
  • The way you change inputs can be different based on the brand of TV and model, but it is usually accessible from a button on the TV's remote control. If you can, check the instructions that came with your television, or try the following:
  • Look for a button on your TV remote control that says Input, Source, AUX, Video, TV/Video or something similar. Press this button. Depending on your TV, pressing the button may cycle through available inputs, or it may display a menu with a choice of inputs.

2. The video cable is not connected properly or the cable is faulty

• Check that the video cable is firmly connected to the back of your Roku player and to the HDMI or composite connector on the TV. If you have a Roku Streaming Stick, then make sure it is firmly connected to the HDMI connector on your TV.
  • If you can, check to see if you have a faulty cable by connecting your Roku player with a different cable.

3. There is a problem with the TV

• If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different input on the TV to see if the problem is with connector on the TV.
  • If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different television to see if the problem is with your Roku player or the TV.

4. Enable CEC or disable auto power savings

• If you do not see a picture after pressing a button on your Roku remote, it is possible that your player cannot "wake up" your TV over the HDMI connection. To fix this, make sure that HDMI-CEC is enabled on your TV. If you prefer your player never enters the low power mode, you can disable auto power savings.

5. If all else fails…

• Disconnect and reconnect all cables including the power cable.

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Black screen on TV even after attempting to reset

While watching a show, my Roku TV screen went black. I turned it off and then turned it back on, the screen stayed black. The TV itself still worked, I could still hear the noises when I clicked around with the remote, and when I pressed the Netflix button, it supposedly opened Netflix, but the screen stayed black. 
I tried turning it off and turning it on an handful of times, and I unplugged it for a few seconds 3 times, no fix.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Black screen on TV even after attempting to reset

If you shine a bright light on it can you see a picture?  If so, I hope it's still under warranty.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

This issue is NOT with #1,#2,#3,#5 - I reviewed the TV features (TCL Google TV) and could NOT locate anything regarding your points on #4. 

I did call Roku support - as this is getting old with my 2 issues ( going black, and remote using batteries every 2 weeks) that person said it appears a Roku OS change is giving folks issues.  He wanted me to perform a factory reset and start over. I asked is there a save/reset/reload feature (save my apps and settings then Factory reset the Roku unit and then reload my apps with settings) - he replied no. 

These steps are possible with Android phones - perhaps Roku should look into this enhancement. 

I meant to ask him do Logs exists in the Roku OS unit where they can identify the issue(s), or can traps be created to "catch" the "screen going dark".  Another suggestion for Roku to look into for this enhancement. 

Recap of the "Going Black"  - TV and Roku Unit working great. When going to bed press the Roku remote power button which turns off both TV and Roku Unit.  Next day press Roku remote power button to turn on TV and Roku unit, in a few seconds the Roku Home page is shown, then open any app, the screen is black but sound is heard.  If press Home button on Roku remote the Home screen appears. 

The only fix so far is to either unplug power from the Roku unit and plug back in

or

Perform a Roku OS reboot.

Regards,

Media_Guy

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.