Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HOGANTREEN

Roku TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Hello thank you all for the suggestions. I reset everything the roku ,my internet router etc.. it connected and worked for couple hours. My husband walked past the TV and it lost connection again.  It says I have wireless connection to my router and excellent signal strength.  But roku device will not connect to internet. I even did a software update to roku. The last resort will be factory reset. I'm curious as to why the 1st time I fixed it by pushing the WPS button on the back of my router. Tried it multiple times. Actually I've tried all the tips and instructions but no luck. Anyways I'm looking for a place to look up the error codes that come up on screen when connection fails. Be great if roku had a customer service chat feature on the device remote or roku app from Googleplaystore. . I can't get my roku remote app to control my device. Sucks when the remote is missing sometimes. 

13 REPLIES 13
anode505
Streaming Star

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Not going to find a solution.  The problem is in the Roku TCP stack somewhere (and Roku isn't going to even look for a solution when 'reboot your router' is good enough for them to kick their bug down the road with an cruddy workaround).  Most likely in it's DHCP client. 

I get this error/issue with *wired* too. and *only* device of 30+ on the LAN.

Rich_T
Roku Guru

Re: Why Is My Roku Not Connecting to Wi-Fi or the Internet?

I've tried everything, the online guides are neither use not ornament, error 009 no matter what.

How can you fix the TCP stack on a roku stick?

anode505
Streaming Star

Re: Why Is My Roku Not Connecting to Wi-Fi or the Internet?

open it, find serial or jtag header/pads.  Crack the root login creds and cross compile your fix and apply your patch.

pittmeans
Channel Surfer

My Roku TV is saying that the signal strength on my connection is good or excellent. But it still won’t connect to apps. So I tried a factory reset, and now I can’t even get to the Home Screen because it’s not connecting with the signal. Is Roku TV total garbage? Wtf??

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@pittmeans is your ISP a cable company? If so, they might have changed something in your modem/router that interferes with a Roku connection. On the 2.4 GHz radio there is something labeled "Mode". Some ISPs have been setting the Mode at G/N. There's another setting labeled B/G/N, and for some reason some modems will not work correctly with Roku devices with the Mode set to G/N. It needs to be B/G/N. Also, if they've changed the channel width to greater than 20 MHz, that too can cause issues.

Some ISPs will let the customer change these settings, while others lock them out. If you can't access those settings, you will need your ISP to change them for you. 

Most Roku TVs have a dual band WiFi radio. Since most WiFi routers use the same SSID for both radios, you might not be connecting to the best radio. Also, while the 5 GHz band is less crowded, there are some channels that Roku devices will not see. These are labeled DFS Channels, and they are numbered between 49 and 148. If your 5 GHz radio is using any channel between those two numbers, your Roku won't every try to use 5 GHz. So you could check that as well. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
pittmeans
Channel Surfer

Thanks for these responses but I don’t know how to change my modem settings. It’s a black box with an on/off switch and no other controls. Roku needs to solve for this, if this is the issue and a common one. 

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@pittmeans 

Thanks for the reply.

As previously mentioned by @atc98092 above, if you need help modifying your modem settings, we recommend contacting your ISP for assistance. They will be able to walk you through on how to change your modem settings. 

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
khuff

I’ve factory reset the Roku, I’ve unplugged it and let it sit, I’ve did tricks found on YouTube, nothing is working. Resetting the router isn’t an option being as we’re in an rv park. Not sure what else to do? 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@khuff unfortunately, when you don't have control of the Internet connection, there may be nothing you can do. Your only option may be to provide your own Internet connection using a MiFi/hotspot. For people who travel often and use site provided Internet, you are at the mercy of whomever is configuring and maintaining the service. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos