Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku TCL remote battery drains quickly

Jump to solution

Just purchased a $7 roku remote on Amazon and am having no issues with battery life.

0 Kudos

Re: Remote batteries

Jump to solution

[personal information removed]

serial no is YS007N672370

i am burning up batteries every week.   i also used to get a battery indicator on the screen but that has disappeared as well. 

any help would be appreciated

william spencer

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote batteries

Jump to solution

@william-spencer 

Thanks for the post.

As stated in my previous post, please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can contact TCL here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@harrisonh wrote:

1 this is not an issue of the remote. And even if it was, it is not a Roku issue, it would be a TCL issue. This is almost certainly not a defective remote. 

BUT
1 there are different battery technologies, 'heavy duty" is the worst of the worst. They very likely only last a week or two. Alkaline batteries are FAR superior. LiMH are rechargeable, but have a lower voltage, 1.2 v per cell vs alkaline batteries at 1.5v per cell.

2 where you buy batteries matters. You can buy some excellent "house brands" (generics) from places like Kroger or walgreens, but buying even seemingly "major" brand names from the 99 cent type stores is futile. Most are not by that company and most are not accurately labeled.  You do not need to buy from "the big two (D&E) R makes excellent batteries that last well under low load, low usage type products like remotes. But again, you are NOT saving moneyby buying "bargain" from a junk retailer.

I think it’s wild you’re going on about these batteries. You can mention battery brands by name. I doubt he’s just buying the absolute worst batteries. And any battery should last more than a week in a regularly used remote. I’m having the same problem and my energizer batteries are dying after 2-3 days. You’ve really offered nothing helpful to the conversation 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can contact TCL here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mhelenek
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku stick remote control is draining batteries

Jump to solution

I have a Roku TCL TV, so no Roku stick. I also don’t use earbuds and have the same problem. It’s possible though that this remote, (which is new and not factory with my tv) is draining for the same reason. Danny from Roku has been of 0 help so far though.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku stick remote control is draining batteries

Jump to solution

@Mhelenek wrote:

I have a Roku TCL TV, so no Roku stick. I also don’t use earbuds and have the same problem. It’s possible though that this remote, (which is new and not factory with my tv) is draining for the same reason. Danny from Roku has been of 0 help so far though.

Every Roku TV I've seen has only come with an IR remote. They don't 2-way communicate with the device, and only use power when a button is pressed. There might be a stuck button that is causing a constant IR signal, and that could run the battery down. You can check the remote by looking at the front through a digital camera, such as a phone camera. If you see a flashing light, even when you aren't pressing a button, that's the problem. If there's no flashing unless you press a button, then the remote is likely defective. 

Roku does not provide hardware support for the TVs, as they are not the manufacturer. If the remote is defective you would need to contact TCL for assistance. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
mmessmore

Remote for TCL 65in tv drains battery after 2 weeks

Jump to solution

The AA batteries last for 2-3 weeks, have owned the remote/tv for 3 1/2 yrs (TCL 65C807 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV 2017 Model).  What can I do?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote for TCL 65in tv drains battery after 2 weeks

Jump to solution

If it's something that has started recently, there's probably a sticking button on the remote. I'm assuming it's a standard IR remote, and not one of the WiFi Direct versions. If there's no pairing button under the battery cover, it's the IR remote.

Look at the end of the remote though a digital camera, such as a camera on a phone. If you see a flashing light when you aren't pressing a button, that's the problem. 

If there's no flashing light, or if it's a WiFi remote, it's possible (and likely) that the remote has failed. You're well out of warranty I assume (I don't know what TCL offers). But you can buy an inexpensive IR remote from Roku and other places for $20 or less. 

You could also control the TV using the Roku app on a phone or tablet. The app is available for both iOS and Android devices. But it will only work if the phone and the TV are on the same network and there's no security feature blocking the phone from seeing other devices on the network. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote for TCL 65in tv drains battery after 2 weeks

Jump to solution

@mmessmore 

Thanks for the post.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos