Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArKay74
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TCL TV making too many calls to scribe.logs.roku.com

What's with all the annoying nonsense posts here? Thanks for making me unsubscribe to this topic.

0 Kudos
jasonmicron
Binge Watcher

I agreed to allowing Roku to know which channels I was using and, depending on the channel, what I was doing in that channel. That's not the issue here.

I did not agree to having Roku's devices spam requests outbound on my home network, which causes increased latency and can even impact an internet service agreement that has caps. There is no need for 30-40 outbound requests per minute from devices.

These requests just need to be culled quite a bit. I think that is all that anyone in this thread is asking for.

RickNY
Reel Rookie

Certainly an instance where a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. 

0 Kudos
JeffSloan
Channel Surfer

Jason,

If you agree to what channel, and what you are doing...
Then whitelist where they are trying to go.

As I posted before, once you whitelist them, they stop retrying over and over, because it succeeds, and it quietens down. The sticks even run cooler.

I have 6 Roku devices, and once I whitelisted where they were "spamming", things are so much better.

BUT, you have to keep your eye on it, because they change where they try to go, based on updates, and, on whatever channel or app you use. So, you may need to whitelist more as time goes on.

0 Kudos
jasonmicron
Binge Watcher

@JeffSloan wrote:

Jason,

If you agree to what channel, and what you are doing...
Then whitelist where they are trying to go.

As I posted before, once you whitelist them, they stop retrying over and over, because it succeeds, and it quietens down. The sticks even run cooler.

I have 6 Roku devices, and once I whitelisted where they were "spamming", things are so much better.

BUT, you have to keep your eye on it, because they change where they try to go, based on updates, and, on whatever channel or app you use. So, you may need to whitelist more as time goes on.

I don't see why that is necessary. I also have 6 Roku devices - 1 Soundbar, 3 Ultras and two much older devices from probably pre-2014. Some of those are TCL TVs too. The only device in my house that behaves this way is my soundbar. It's just spamming requests. I guess I could set up a local DNS sinkhole server to give it an ACK so it shuts the heck up, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Every single other Roku device behaves fine. And as OP stated - the noise on the local network is what this thread is trying to hopefully resolve. If I deny outbound traffic on my own network, that should not mean that Roku can flood my network with requests.

At the end of the day, is it affecting my network overall? No, not really. Is it acting suspicious? Absolutely.

I also have a Hisense "Google" TV, which is the TV connected to my soundbar. Not even Google's Hisense TV software spams out traffic this much. And I use my Roku Ultra in my bedroom more than any other device - it reaches out maybe once or twice an hour, just like my other Roku devices. It's just the soundbar that spams out requests.

0 Kudos

I found a solution. I'm going to buy a different tv next time. I like LG's. The software is great. Sorry, Roku, I've bought at least a dozen of your products over the last decade but I'm good now. Keep spying and treating your customers like data mines. Thanks for the good times, now a days, when I don't have a DNS blocker, I'll be watching something and my TV will recommend I buy what I'm watching. Not a good feeling, but that didn't put me over the edge. This DNS nonsense has. What a scummy approach. 

Stop looking for a solution, everyone. Roku doesn't care. Unless you're a big hedge fund, maybe.

Buy something that's not a ROKU moving forward. LG Tv's are pretty spectacular, TCL are garbage TVs. My Roku TV is a well made sharp that'll be an offline monitor after this garbage move from ROKU.

pj38320

in order to stop these continuing requests to scribe.logs.roku.com our 3 roku are now plugged into smart plugs (such as Kasa, globe or Gosund). We turn them on from the Android app when we need them and turn them off afterwards.  Makes little sens to have the roku on all the time anyhow...

Still, our pi-hole DNS would stop tracking requests to scribe.logs.roku.com when a roku is on.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

>27786 calls to scribe.logs.roku.com in the last 12 hours.

Come on - don't give me the this is for Application Use argument.

Will keep on blocking it until i fully understand it and how i would benefit from allowing it.

or can opt-out of tracking.

Ever heard of GDPR ? 

SwaggyMike
Reel Rookie

This happened last night.  Over 1000 queries to this domain in a minute.  

Over 2000 queries in a 15 minute snapshot below.

https://i.imgur.com/PxQpy65.jpg

JeffSloan
Channel Surfer

Exactly!

Now...Whitelist it!

Then it will only hit once in a while, if it is blocked, it will keep trying constantly.
Do you want that filling up your PiHole's hard drive?
It did mine once.

Just whitelist it and be done with it.

0 Kudos