Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phantom321

Re: Roku TCL TV making too many calls to scribe.logs.roku.com

Currently seeing the same issues on my system using pi-hole for domain blocking. Did a network tap and packet capture before and during when I whitelisted scribe.logs.roku.com. However when I did that, it seems the packets are encrypted with TLSv1.3 while reviewing it in wireshark. You can see some of the URL information in TCP stream, but the data itself is encrypted. Additionally, when I whitelist scribe.logs.roku.com, cooper.logs.roku.com pops up along with cloudservices.roku.com in pi-hole. 

Scribe_Logs_CSU
Reel Rookie

That's about what I found when I did a MiTM on it, it looks like it's sending a cert, to cert auth and then it's probably a POST dump after that. I tested with sslstrip, and ncat also monitored the tcpdump on the same interface and it was just information I couldn't go farther forward with it. Sorry.

Own up ROKU!

Fix this request flooding on DNS servers.

0 Kudos
RickNY
Reel Rookie

Just an FYI -- they actually try to do the DNS lookup on Google at 8.8.8.8 if it fails on the assigned DNS.. I've verified this in my firewall logs -- but I also have a rule in my firewall to capture all outgoing DNS requests that try to bypass the Pi-Hole and redirect those requests to the Pi-Hole.  In the screenshot, 10.68.102 is one of my Rokus.. And 10.68.1.190 is my Pi-Hole. 

Firewall logFirewall logPi-HolePi-Hole

0 Kudos
GaryVan

Quoted: "Someone knowing how I use my device, what I watch, etc. does not affect me in the slightest.
I am not using my Roku's to watch videos on how to overthrow the government, make drugs, etc., so I could care less."

You actually might contributing to the problem.  Roku has no moral right to know what I'm watching.  End 'o story.  My privacy is just that, MY privacy.  The collecting is effecting you in ways you can't imagine.  The fact that they're not answering this thread tells me everything I need to know.

0 Kudos
sundragon
Reel Rookie

To the point about "Someone knowing how I use my device, what I watch, etc. does not affect me in the slightest. I am not using my Roku's to watch videos on how to overthrow the government, make drugs, etc., so I could care less."

The issue isn't what I watch, just that the Roku makes so many calls, it's crazy. It's the lions share of calls and nothing on my network makes such a ruckus and there is no rational for this. I only realized it once I set up my PiHole. I have Google speakers and other smart devices reporting home and they don't go into a frenzy when blocked. You will notice when you block the Roku that certain adverts don't work and some channels like Paramount+ won't play content until you turn it off. At least in my experience.

0 Kudos
cbelsole
Channel Surfer

I feel like I have to step in here as the OP. This is not a discussion about what data Roku is collecting. Assuming everyone here has a Roku device we've all agreed to their privacy policy.

That being said, the original issue here from over 2 years ago was the service degradation brought on by the excessive stats and logs collected. Before I started blocking Roku stats I could not log on to Hulu on the first try.

I'd like to see Roku solve this issue as installing a PiHole is out of the capabilities of most Roku users and many more people must be feeling this pain with no recourse to alleviate it.

Bmac28
Reel Rookie

See the comment above.  Just whitelist scribe.logs.roku.com, the traffic reduces significantly. 

0 Kudos
Bmac28
Reel Rookie

You agreed to the privacy policy by purchasing and using the device.  If you don't like how Roku collects data, then get a different streaming device.  But beware... They all track your streaming activity.    

0 Kudos
cbelsole
Channel Surfer

As I've said before, I am not here to discuss the privacy concerns around Roku just the usability concerns. Having a PiHole solves my issues as their stats/logging collection degrades the service.

ralphie_suzy
Streaming Star

The "if you don't like it, get out" argument. We're trying to make our experience better, not "take it or leave it." Shareholders are welcome, I guess.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.