Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Keyboard Needed ASAP

OK, others have asked for a wireless keyboard, which would imply it was offered by Roku.

The problem with connecting a USB keyboard is 1) not every Roku has a USB port and 2) the Roku OS would need to have drivers to support a USB keyboard. the Roku OS is a highly modified version of Linux. While the base OS certainly has drivers for USB keyboards in the kernel, drivers take memory space, and many Roku devices simply don’t have enough memory for things like drivers that aren’t necessary for the device to function. So Roku removes all unnecessary things from the base kernel, including drivers they feel are unneeded. They need all the space they can get to allow the Roku OS to work on a wide variety of hardware. Adding support for a USB keyboard (which I actually agree with) likely just won’t fit within the footprint they need to maintain.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ToxicCrouton
Channel Surfer

your speaking nonsense tho. a universal usb driver is not very large at all. and speaking as a computer programmer there would be zero issue if they wanted to include this option. there is there is way more memory than is needed too add this option. and of course your comment that not every roku has a usb port is useless because obviously the option would only be included with rokus that have a usb port. We'll just gloss over how easy it would be to add bluetooth support for keyboards too because im sure you have some outlandish explanation for that too. My biggest question of course would be how much is roku paying you guys to downplay my request for usb keyboard support.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@ToxicCrouton wrote:

We'll just gloss over how easy it would be to add Bluetooth support for keyboards too because I'm sure you have some outlandish explanation for that too. 

Believe what you want. To add BT support you're talking adding hardware that doesn't exist in any Roku other than the newest version of the Ultra (4802) and the Soundbars: a Bluetooth module. Even assuming you could implement it in software (I don't believe you can), it's unlikely the existing hardware has the power to do it and still perform as required. When you add a piece of hardware, it costs money. So yes, a Bluetooth keyboard should be possible with the Ultra 4802 and the Soundbars. 

Roku tries to keep costs for their product low, so adding a hardware module that would add to the cost is unlikely to happen. We've requested for years to bitstream the lossless audio tracks, which would not require any hardware, just a license from Dolby and DTS. They won't do it, most likely because of cost. 

Dan

0 Kudos
ToxicCrouton
Channel Surfer

Another sad excuse from a roku worshipper. Every single roku tv on the market has bluetooth. Its how those bluetooth soundbars you mentioned connect to the tvs. So wow would ya look at that, the hardware is capable because it already has it. It would be really simple to add that function on a Roku tv. The cost you keep talking about is also minimal. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

You believe what you want. We were discussing Roku players and you switched to the Roku TV. As for me being a "worshipper", there's plenty of posts from me that complains about specific issues with Roku devices. One is the lack of a remote that offers numeric buttons for direct channel access. This would be useful for both Roku TVs, as well as a player when using a channel such as Pluto TV, which has many dozens of channels to choose from.

In Roku players (not TVs), the hardware only exists in a small number of models. Adding a Bluetooth module might appear to be insignificant in the overall cost of the device, but when you take that small cost and multiply it by the number of devices built each year, it's a substantial cost. Think of automobile manufacturing. Those companies balk at something that costs them a dollar, even if it improves safety, solely because of the accumulated cost. 

Dan

0 Kudos
kallensand
Reel Rookie

I couldn't agree more it is the most stupidly ridiculous small-minded nearsighted absurdly ignorant move not to have external keyboard access to a Roku TV. Anyone with half a mind realizes after 30 seconds of using a Roku TV that a keyboard would change its use from hair pulling and awkward to effortless. Having said that come on Roku get off your **bleep** give us what we want, what your product really needs.

0 Kudos