Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Keyboard Needed ASAP

I just bought a brand new Roku "smart" TV. The TV itself is very nice and was priced great. However, its absurd to call the new TV a "smart" TV... With all the technology available today its unacceptable that Roku TVs do not support data input via a keyboard. I have 2 of the miniature 2.4ghz wireless keyboards. It would take almost no effort for Roku to allow devices like that to control their apps, even if it was only for searches, logins, (data entry in general). PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this functionality. It will bring your products into the realm of perfection! Literally EVERY one of your customers are wishing for this....

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku Keyboard Needed ASAP

Roku app on phone or tablet can be used for keyboard input.  Still a virtual keyboard but better than the cursor-based one built into the Roku tv or device.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Highlighted
Level 8

Exactly what I was about to say... get the Roku app @keyboardpls, in addition to the keyboard I find the private listening mode to be extremely useful. You can also browse channels and search for shows. The app is a must have if you want to get the most from your Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Those wireless keyboards you mention all require connecting a USB transceiver into an available port. The TV only has one port, and it's designed for use either for media playback or being able to pause live TV. While the Roku OS is based on Linux, the kernel is customized for the OS and likely has removed the ability to connect a remote keyboard. It's done to simplify the OS core functionality, reduce memory requirements, and make it more secure. 

Those wireless keyboards cannot connect to the existing 2.4 GHz WiFi connection. They're the same frequency band, but use different protocols so one can't be used with the other. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Hmmm .. you might be able to use the Roku phone app and use a bluetooth- or usb-connected keyboard with the phone.  If it works, it sounds to me like more trouble than it's worth, but I'm not the one all hot to have a keyboard.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos