Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Keyboard Needed ASAP

I just bought a brand new Roku "smart" TV. The TV itself is very nice and was priced great. However, its absurd to call the new TV a "smart" TV... With all the technology available today its unacceptable that Roku TVs do not support data input via a keyboard. I have 2 of the miniature 2.4ghz wireless keyboards. It would take almost no effort for Roku to allow devices like that to control their apps, even if it was only for searches, logins, (data entry in general). PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this functionality. It will bring your products into the realm of perfection! Literally EVERY one of your customers are wishing for this....

25 REPLIES 25
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Keyboard Needed ASAP

Roku app on phone or tablet can be used for keyboard input.  Still a virtual keyboard but better than the cursor-based one built into the Roku tv or device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
DarthDagger
Streaming Star

Exactly what I was about to say... get the Roku app @keyboardpls, in addition to the keyboard I find the private listening mode to be extremely useful. You can also browse channels and search for shows. The app is a must have if you want to get the most from your Roku.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Those wireless keyboards you mention all require connecting a USB transceiver into an available port. The TV only has one port, and it's designed for use either for media playback or being able to pause live TV. While the Roku OS is based on Linux, the kernel is customized for the OS and likely has removed the ability to connect a remote keyboard. It's done to simplify the OS core functionality, reduce memory requirements, and make it more secure. 

Those wireless keyboards cannot connect to the existing 2.4 GHz WiFi connection. They're the same frequency band, but use different protocols so one can't be used with the other. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
makaiguy

Hmmm .. you might be able to use the Roku phone app and use a bluetooth- or usb-connected keyboard with the phone.  If it works, it sounds to me like more trouble than it's worth, but I'm not the one all hot to have a keyboard.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
lakesider
Reel Rookie

Drowning in remotes. How about software that links my "tactile" pc keyboard to roku.  Touch screen or mouse controls require watching two screens almost simultaneously to find (frequently used) menu options that are typically buried deep in the layers of bloated option panels.

atc98092

@lakesider wrote:

Drowning in remotes. How about software that links my "tactile" pc keyboard to roku.  Touch screen or mouse controls require watching two screens almost simultaneously to find (frequently used) menu options that are typically buried deep in the layers of bloated option panels.

That would require Bluetooth support for peripherals, and that means hardware the devices don't have. The new Ultra 4800 does have Bluetooth for streaming media to it, but it doesn't currently offer hardware (peripheral) support. For that player, it might be something that can be added via software. But for any other player there's no chance. For those, the only keyboard option right now is the Roku app on a phone or tablet. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
lakesider
Reel Rookie

I can control roku with my pc mouse. Why not the kb?

Screenshot 2021-01-20 094957.png

lakesider
Reel Rookie

The window at bottom screen left will accept characters if you have an active dialog on display so clearly the keyboard is linked to my roku stick. 

Roku is so clever about forcing the user to slog through every menu option on the board  to get what you want ("manage dvr"). Kind of like what is called "burying the lead" in the news business or at the grocery store where key products get relocated just to send shoppers scurrying around through ALL the products for obvious reasons.

Enabling the kb arrow keys for steering through it all couldn't be that difficult. So it is really much easier to just set roku remote aside and use the pc for all the heavy lifting.

ToxicCrouton
Channel Surfer

Roku will never allow usb keyboards because of their corporate greed. They are paid well to make sure you see an ad every time you pick up your remote. If you could simply use a keyboard with no ads on it netflix and hulu would cry endlessly until they removed the option. They are extremely greedy like most corporate entities...

0 Kudos