Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul-K
Reel Rookie

Using a ROKU Express US device in Canada

Jump to solution

I have ROKU TV and ROKU Express devices in my US location but as a snowbird I want to take the ROKU Express device back to Canada with me in the Spring for use there. I will return to the US next winter bringing the Express device back with me. I have a US based ROKU account and the TV will be staying put.

Do I need to transition the ROKU Express device somehow for use between the two countries? What is the easiest way to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Using a ROKU Express US device in Canada

Jump to solution

To be honest, the easiest way is to just get another (cheap) Express and create a Canada account (when you get to Canada) to use on it.  The other way is to create a Canada account when you're there, factory reset the Express, and link it to the Canada account and then perform the same operation when you get back (factory reset it and link it to the US account).  You will have no end of problems if you try to use a device that was set up in one region and move to another region or link a device to an account that isn't associated with your current physical location/region.  Channels that are only available in one region won't work even if you're physically in that region.

Having two accounts means you don't want to subscribe to anything through Roku since subscriptions are tied to the Roku account.  Always subscribe directly with the provider when possible.

One other thing to note:  Roku websites seem to rely heavily on cookies, so it's far too easy to create an account that isn't associated with the correct region even if you're physically in that region.  If you already have a Roku account and you want to set up a new one in a different region make sure you clear your cookies before creating the account and make sure the region that's displayed in the bottom corner of the Channel Store website ( https://channelstore.roku.com ) shows the region you're expecting.  Using a private browsing window or Incognito window is another way to avoid old stored browser information interfering with the process.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

To be honest, the easiest way is to just get another (cheap) Express and create a Canada account (when you get to Canada) to use on it.  The other way is to create a Canada account when you're there, factory reset the Express, and link it to the Canada account and then perform the same operation when you get back (factory reset it and link it to the US account).  You will have no end of problems if you try to use a device that was set up in one region and move to another region or link a device to an account that isn't associated with your current physical location/region.  Channels that are only available in one region won't work even if you're physically in that region.

Having two accounts means you don't want to subscribe to anything through Roku since subscriptions are tied to the Roku account.  Always subscribe directly with the provider when possible.

One other thing to note:  Roku websites seem to rely heavily on cookies, so it's far too easy to create an account that isn't associated with the correct region even if you're physically in that region.  If you already have a Roku account and you want to set up a new one in a different region make sure you clear your cookies before creating the account and make sure the region that's displayed in the bottom corner of the Channel Store website ( https://channelstore.roku.com ) shows the region you're expecting.  Using a private browsing window or Incognito window is another way to avoid old stored browser information interfering with the process.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Paul-K
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response!  The devices are inexpensive and seems a simple approach.

Kudos!

0 Kudos