Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Keyboard Needed ASAP

You can use the Roku app on your phone or tablet and a keyboard is available. Kind of shoots your greedy Roku story full of holes. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Montag
Reel Rookie

Couldn't a USB hub be used to mitigate this problem? Also, unless I'm mistaken, Roku OS is a custom Linux distribution, so it should  be able to support peripherals like keyboards and USB hubs. If I'm not mistaken, that kind of functionality is built into the kernel, so it really shouldn't be hard for Roku OS developers to enable that kind of functionality.

atc98092

Yes, the Roku OS is a version of Linux. However, it's highly modified and they strip out anything unneeded, so there's likely no drivers for a keyboard. Most Roku devices are tight on system memory, so the OS has to be kept as trim as possible. It might simply not be possible to add those drivers back in. And of course very few current Roku devices have a USB port. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Blankenship
Reel Rookie

It needs to have tactile feedback and a lot of folks still don't use smartphones. A remote keyboard would be much better.

0 Kudos
Blankenship
Reel Rookie

"If you could simply use a keyboard with no ads on it..."

I don't think that matters. There aren't normally any ads showing when you have YouTube or Netflix search pulled up on your Roku TV, even without a keyboard. Having a tactile keyboard wouldn't eliminate ads from searches because there aren't any. Also, having a keyboard would allow you to look up your shows faster than clicking on the remote, which logically could result in more cash flow for Roku and the various streaming platforms for those who prefer typing in their search over voice recognition.

22211814421512ac3591b4d343a6a4d6.png

0 Kudos
Blankenship
Reel Rookie

YES! Up vote on this. A "smart" TV should be able to have a REAL tactile keyboard, even a palm sized one.

0 Kudos
ToxicCrouton
Channel Surfer

i was referring to the advertisements on the remote itself. whether you realize it or not the hulu and netflix buttons on your remote are ads.

0 Kudos
ToxicCrouton
Channel Surfer

if you think about it when you open the app the first thing you are met with is ads. so no those holes you are talking about are not there.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@ToxicCrouton wrote:

i was referring to the advertisements on the remote itself. 

I promise you, if Roku offered such a keyboard, it would still have those "ad" buttons. Look at virtually any remote for a streaming product (Smart TV, BD Player, streaming player), every one of them has at minimum a Netflix button. Netflix pays a lot of money for those permanent billboards in front of you. And Roku isn't the only one with more than one such button. I have a Onn streaming player with multiple buttons like that, and even 3rd party universal IR remotes have at least the good old Netflix button. There's simply no way of getting past them. I've never owned an Apple TV, so can't say if their remotes have any such buttons. Buy my Nvidia Shield does, by Sony BD player, my LG, Vizio and Samsung TVs, and the list goes on.

Dan

0 Kudos
ToxicCrouton
Channel Surfer

Your not understanding that i am not asking for a roku keyboard. I want to be able to use any usb keyboard with the tv. This option is available on literally every other tv on the market

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.