Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FixMyGDtv

Re: Possessed remote

Having the same problem. Looks to be wide spread, but every response by Roku blames the remote. The TV I paid for doesn't even work as a tv anymore. Shuts itself off. Changes inputs. Does it every 30 seconds or so making my "smart " tv absolute junk. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Possessed remote

@FixMyGDtv 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with more information? What Roku TV brand and model do you have? Have you tried contact the Roku TV manufacturer regarding the issues you are experiencing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DC_

Re: Possessed Roku TV remote

Did Roku ever resolve this issue for you? This just started happening to me: scrolling on its own, I tried unplugging, changing the batteries, now the TV won’t even turn on. Very frustrating! I’ll be calling them in the morning.

0 Kudos
khartman

Same. Do we need a new Roku or remote? Done battery, system update, and restart. 

0 Kudos
Veezil
Reel Rookie

After giving up and using the Roku app on my phone as a remote for many months, I finally bought a replacement remote off of Amazon and it works fine.

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @khartman

I hope you're doing well.

Remotes for Roku TVs are manufactured directly by the TV manufacturer. We recommend reaching out to them directly to report the issue and for further help. 

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Madsmeeks

Currently having this issue. I will be gone for days and have my tv turned on when I get home. I left the room and live tv turned. Multiple times when using the tv the input menu will be on and it’s scrolling through and will turn the tv off. Took the batteries out and it still happened.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Madsmeeks

Thanks for the post.

If you removed the batteries from your remote and the issue is still happening, it's possible that someone else is controlling your TV by accident. Is your TV near or within direct line of sight of a window?

Have you tried contacting your Roku TV manufacturer support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

For more a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
linn5170

Re: Possessed remote or entire tv

Hi Danny. I don’t know if my remote is possessed but we own a 54” I think Hisense Roku Tv. Off and on at times the volume would suddenly go up to 100 and go to a channel where a video that was completely undesirable would start playing. It would randomly pick apps when you are trying to find something you want to watch. This for almost a year off and on. It would stop but maybe weeks later do it again. 

But now, starting this past weekend, it did all this and we attached a firestick to it. It would interrupt out fire stick and set the tv to the Roku channel and start the madness over again. Also when my sister tried to rename the firestick connection, someone is using the speller section to type obscenities and speak facts about our families and telling us what objects we have around the house. I know this means we are probably hacked. I tried changing the password but I made the mistake of telling my daughter out loud the new password and the next time we brought the speller they typed it to us showing they knew it! And proceeded to tell us we were mad because we were not able to watch anything! This is the worse it’s been. How can we resolve this? This is beyond creepy and more than likely unsafe. Could you please give us some kind of advice that might help us. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Possessed remote or entire tv

Hello @linn5170

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on your Roku TV? If not, we suggest giving it a shot. Feel free to follow the steps below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. Select Factory reset everything
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions

For more information, you can visit this link: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku® streaming device

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos