Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ss25jam
Reel Rookie

Possessed Roku TV remote

Has anyone had any issues with your television doing things randomly. My rokuTv (6 months old) changes channels and inputs on its own.

20 REPLIES 20
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Possessed remote

Hi there,

Thanks for the note. Doe staking the batteries out of your remote resolve the issue? 

If not, it's possible that someone in your house (connected to the same wireless network as the TV) is controlling the Roku TV using the Roku mobile app. You can disable this setting in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Control by mobile apps>Network access - and choose 'Disabled'.

If the issue stops from there, that would likely explain the behavior you are seeing.  

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
ss25jam
Reel Rookie

No that did not fix the issue and no one is running the Roku app.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

How close are the neighbors? Someone might have paired remote to your tv set on accident?

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Possessed remote

Hey,

My remote (not even a year old) was doing werid things last night.

1st. - Kept on going to games on the Roku. 

2nd. - Paused on my TV show at 37:37.

3rd. - I went to use the restroom and my older sister came out running because the Roku showed a hospital room.

That's all.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@emmaperfect07 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried replacing the batteries of the remote to see if that resolves the issue.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mylittlemc

I have a similar problem. Our Roku does what it wants, when it wants. I have tried to search for updates, repaired my remote, replaced the batteries, unplugged it and nothing helps. I am ready to cancel the service! 

0 Kudos
Veezil
Reel Rookie

Similar problem started last night. Remote is acting like a button is stuck but nothing is. Just keeps scrolling thru menus and can’t control it. It stops if I disrupt the view from the remote to Tv or take the batteries out. Currently using the app on my phone instead. Tv is less than a year old.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Mylittlemc @Veezil 

Thanks for the information.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Veezil
Reel Rookie

message sent, thank you!

0 Kudos