Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: [OS 11.5] TCL 55S423 Stuck in endless rebooting with firmware 11.5.0 Build 4235-93

@CSO 

Thanks for the follow up.

The team that is currently investigating the issue has requested that you please connect your Roku TV, check for a manual update, and then proceed to see if the issue you were reporting is still occurring.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CSO
Channel Surfer

Re: [OS 11.5] TCL 55S423 Stuck in endless rebooting with firmware 11.5.0 Build 4235-93

@RokuDanny-R 

I connected the TV to the internet & allowed it register the TV to my Roku account, it downloaded the channels that I wanted but appears to have NOT downloaded the 11.5.xx firmware which was causing all the problems. The TV now says the firmware is 11.0.0 build ????? (sorry I left the build number behind) is the latest, I think it is the same version that I loaded from the USB drive. Which suggests that Roku is not going to push out the 11.5.0 version to my TV until they can get a handle on what is causing the endless reboot problem, which is fine with me. I would hope they do further testing before they roll out firmware updates that cause all kind of problems with users TVs. I see a fair number of other people having trouble with version 11.5.

It would be really be a good thing if Roku would publish a change log on the different firmware versions & allow the user to decide weather or not they wish to download the firmware or not. Of course major security flaw updates may override optional updates.  I have looked around on your site & have found nothing about what the different versions do or address in the way bugs or feature enhancements. Even the USB firmware download page does not share anything about what versions are available or what version you are downloading. I am in this case happy that I was able to get my TV back to a working state. I am not happy about the lost 5+ hours I have spent on troubleshooting something that was caused by Roku's bad firmware update.

I think Roku has a responsibility to better test their firmware updates before rolling what appears to be somewhat of major update. What happened to 11.1,x, 11.2.x, 11.3.x 11.4.x? Which in this case has caused problem with my TV & what appears to be other models of TVs. Not to mention the many lost hours this problem has caused with all kinds of TVs. With the manufacture claiming well the TV is out of warranty & to claim there may be a problem with power supply board, etc. 

Please keep me posted on the status of your firmware updates. 

0 Kudos
jras20
Reel Rookie

My TV also restarts every time I turn it on.  Only Restarts once then it's fine. 

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @jras20

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Please be aware that our team is currently investigating this issue. In the meantime, please provide us with the following information so that we can forward it to the team for further review:

• Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you further with your needs. Thank you!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
CSO
Channel Surfer

When is Roku going to address this problem? The endless reboot problem still exists with this version of firmware 11.5.0 Build 4235-93

I don't have access to a USB drive today to downgrade the firmware back to version  11.0.0 build 4193-93
When is Roku either going to FIX the firmware?

Or

Stop trying to push out the broken version of  11.5.0 Build 4235-93 to this TV which causes the Roku to get stuck in a endless loop of rebooting??

This is the same TV that I posted about on ‎11-08-2022 11:29 AM

Make: TCL
Model: 55S423
Hardware ID: C110X
Serial number: X00000957T76
Software Ver: 11.5.0 build 4235-93
Device ID: S041D9A57T76
Recovery screen version: 939.00R02201A
0 Kudos
BLICK

My TCL C157x is rebooting or turning off randomly. Software version 11.5.0 build 4312-93. Firmware was last updated 12-22-22. Can I please get some assistance with this issue? What is most current software version? If there is prior software version that is stable and operates correctly how do I download. This is extremely frustrating and would really appreciate if anyone can help figure this out 

0 Kudos
CSO
Channel Surfer

I was able to download the firmware on to a USB stick & load it from the USB drive. I got the firmware from https://tvupdate.roku.com they don't publish the version numbers or post a change log. So there is no way of knowing what version you are downloading until you install the firmware. I will say if are able to download a version that works keep a copy of it on your computer in case they remove it from their servers. Or they publish a version that does not work as expected.

I wish Roku was a little more transparent on what was changed in the different versions of firmware & would allow the user more information on what changes have been done to the firmware. The latest firmware doesn't always mean the greatest.

The problem I have been having with my TV is they have never addressed the problem. Please fix the firmware so that my TV does not go into a endless reboot loop.

0 Kudos
CSO
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R @RokuKarla 

What is the status of this endless rebooting problem with firmware 11.5.0 build 4235-93??

I have been using version 11.0.0 build 4193-93 which works however I can't connect the TV to the internet because it will download the latest BROKEN firmware. The last few days the TV tries to check for updated firmware which it fails because it is disconnected from the internet. Seems to do once every three of 4 weeks. So I thought I would reconnect it thinking maybe Roku has finally fixed the firmware.
WRONG!! same broken version 11.5.0 Build 4235-93 firmware was downloaded from the internet & the TV went back to it endless rebooting. 

Roku keeps saying they are aware of the problem & is working on a solution, but I have seen NO CHANGE!!! This problem goes back to 11/2022!

Someone flagged my post of downloading to the version 11.0.0 build 4193-93 as a solution by going to https://tvupdate.roku.com/ that is NOT a solution. I have since flagged it as NOT the solution. It is temporary work around! It is NOT a solution if you intend on connecting the TV to the Internet.

Please fix this problem.

PS The American banking system bailed you out of millions of dollars from SVB. Please fix this problem for the users that are stuck with a Roku TV that they are unable to connect to the Internet because Roku is unable or unwilling to fix the firmware or prevent the latest firmware from downloading to this series of TVs.

CSO
Channel Surfer

Since Roku has not addressed this problem to prevent the TV from auto updating. Can Roku provide the IP address(s) of Roku's update servers so that I can block the auto update to my TV at my router?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @CSO

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

Can you please try checking the Roku TV system update? Follow the instructions below to manually check for software and channel updates.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System
  4. Select System update
  5. Select Check Now to manually check for updates

Does this help? If you are still seeing the same problem, we suggest you perform a factory reset to see if you can get your device set up and activated without any issues. For detailed information, follow the steps here: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.