Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Roku TV started to smell like burnt plastic and then smoke came out from behind the TV

When powering on my tv it would flash the logo and then the screen turned black and stayed black ,we can hear the audio but the screen wouldn’t turn on, we factory reset the tv and then after sometime the screen actually turned on and stayed on , and since we factory reset the tv we had to link the tv to our roku account and get the internet connected etc. and as we were doing all of that , we started to smell burnt plastic and then we saw SMOKE , IT started to come out from behind the tv , we immediately shut the tv off . And haven’t turned  it back on since .  I can’t imagine what would have happened if we left the tv on and no one was home !! ROKU TV COMPANY WOULD BE PAYING MY MORTGAGE , IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT …
HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME !!  
I’m afraid it’s time to get a new TV !! 

7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku TV started to smell like burnt plastic and then smoke came out from behind the TV

That does sound kind of scary.  If your TV is more than a year old, it's out of warranty and Roku didn't make it (they've only been making their own TVs for less than 6 months).  I doubt you'll get anywhere if it's out of warranty, but try contacting the manufacturer.

Where can I get support for my Roku TV™? | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
EmilyMP

Re: My Roku TV started to smell like burnt plastic and then smoke came out from behind the TV

This JUST happened to us. We got a 55” Roku TV and had it going after a long time of not turning it on. POOF smoke came out of the back and we thought it was weird and then POOF another plume of smoke came out of the back. I have not read the other comment but OMG it was crazy, the fire department came and made us take it down. Can’t wait to see if Roku weighed in your case. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @EmilyMP,

Greetings from the Roku Community!
This may be related to a hardware issue. Have you tried contacting the TV manufacturer to get more information? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Mine just sent a surge of energy and killed my power and smells of fire. Will not even turn on now. What model do you have and when did you purchase? I have a tcl Roku and bout it two years ago. It hangs on my wall and is barely ever used.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Tinanthomas09,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!

This could be connected to a hardware problem. Have you tried getting in touch with the TV maker to find out additional details? We would advise beginning there to see if they have any recommendations or solutions. Direct support is offered by each Roku TV maker for devices running the Roku OS.

To easily contact them, you may also check out this support article here: Where can I get support for my Roku TVTM? | Official Roku Support

We hope this helps.

Regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

the same exact thing just happened to me

First, I heard a crackling sound

then it started SMOKING from the back

It Shut down and I unplugged it immediately 

what the **bleep** just happened?

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @WTFISWRONGWMYTV,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you specify what Roku TV this is? (e.g., Hisense, TCL, ONN) If it's one of these mentioned brands, we would recommend that you seek further assistance, as they are the best person who could help you with this concern.

Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their Roku OS products. For a list of Roku TV manufacturers' contact information, visit our community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV.

We hope this helps. Let us know if you have further inquiries.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.