Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: TCL Roku tv is on Black Screen 10/27/2022

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting and sharing your observation.

We are currently aware of the issue and our appropriate team working diligently to resolve the issue. In the meantime, please help us with the required details below so we can send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team, and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know:

• tracker ID when this issue occurs
  • date stamp when you triggered the tracker ID

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tedw49
Channel Surfer

my TCL Roku tv suddenly will not play video.. it will open all and any channels (apps) .. Prime, tubi, YTTV etc... but when choosing a program or movie it just goes to black screen with timer circling and then to just black screen. never seen this before in 6 years with Roku.

0 Kudos
brandon8745
Channel Surfer

You do realize.......as we "all quoted"......(we have a black screen!) I shine a flashlight on my tv then i can only see barely whats in front of the light of the flashlight. 🤔 who is working diligently?? Roku?......Hisense?......TCL?   Thats new! We all called our manufacturers. They dont help. Roku never wants to help because its "always a manufacturer issue!" Hundreds, if not thousands or more people with this same issue with new TV's. Maybe their should be a recall. 🙄 thats the only help we need. Otherwise were out of pocket on our (NEW) tv's repairs cause we were obviously overcharged!! I havent had my tv for 2 years yet. $600 down the drain. Mmhm! Bet your tv works tho huh? Smh!! This is absolutely ridiculous!! Unless your gunna pay for our repairs. You obviously cant help and you clearly have not read any of these **bleep** posts other than the ones your responding to and clearly still did not read. How we supposed to go to settings and so on???? OUR SCREEN IS BLACK!!...........Wow.......just.......WOW!!!!!  😒🙄💯 #A.DamShame

deboy69

@RokuMary-F 

Add me to the list for TCL 65" 4k that went dark yesterday. 

Tracker ID 38-058-738

time 2023-02-10T18:58:54Z

Software Version 11.50 build 4312-30

0 Kudos

Thank you, all, for your comments here. I was stricken with the TCL/Roku Black Screen of Death this morning and your diligence and prior good work was immensely helpful to me. Tried the Reset button a few times, as well as unplugging from the wall for fully 20 minutes. No luck.

So I cut my losses. If Geek Squad estimates several hundred bucks plus delays for parts, why fix something that cost less than that when I bought it new 3 years ago? Yes, it stinks to see a TV bite the dust at such a tender age. (Shame on TCL/Roku. Seriously. SHAME.) But I just purchased from Amazon a refurbished TCL/Roku of nearly identical size (50"), plus a 4-year Asurion warranty. All in: $320. Cheaper than repairs. And it arrives within a week. How long before TCL/Roku owns up to their glitch, solves it, and fixes your TV? This thread suggests that'll be a long, awful slog.

Agreed: Samsung, LG, Sony are more-reliable brands. But they cost a LOT more than TCL or HiSense. Perhaps I'll only get 2 or 3 years out of my refurbished TCL. Perhaps the warranty will let me down when/if I encounter problems before the 4-year expiry. Under those circumstances, I'll be out $320. Not ideal. But cheap. And life is short, so I don't want to waste time tilting at the Evil, Underperforming Windmills of Commerce.

As for the dead TCL/Roku, I placed it in my building's Trash/Recycle room, with the remote control and power cord taped to the rear. It bears the sign, "FREE. Backlight is out." My bet is that one of the management company's employees will "know a guy" who can fix it for next to nothing. Heck, maybe it'll even be refurbished and offered for resale. Presto -- I'll have paid it forward.

I wish us all the best of luck and success as we navigate cheap electronics, subpar customer service, and headaches generally. Peace.

0 Kudos
Paul65
Streaming Star

Your canned responses aren't helping!

You do know that NO ONE CAN SEE THAT BECAUSE THE SCREEN IS BLACK!!!

deboy69

@RokuMary-F  Serial Number YN008L045338

0 Kudos
deboy69

@Paul65 Use a flashlight to shine on the screen. It shows the picture on the TV. The backlight is the only thing jacked up by the firmware.

0 Kudos
Paul65
Streaming Star

Tried the flashlight thing. Multiple times.  Nothing.  

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @deboy69,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

We'll send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Please be aware that we are actively monitoring and investigating the discussions on this thread. Thanks again for your continued patience.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator