Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to change volume on TV with Alexa Roku skill when using hdmi arc soundbar

I have a TCL 65S535 5-series Roku TV and a Polk Signa S2 soundbar connected via hdmi arc. Also have the Roku skill installed for Alexa/Echo devices. I can turn on/off the TV using voice commands, but am unable to use voice to set the volume level if the soundbar is connected. A message pops up saying "Sorry, unable to set a specific volume." If the soundbar is disconnected and I set audio output to TV Speakers, I can tell Alexa to change the volume and it works. The roku remote is still able to change the volume in both scenarios.

Not sure where or what to check next. Any ideas? Or maybe I'm trying to do something that isn't possible?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
stashaway

Re: Not able to change volume on TV with Alexa Roku skill when using hdmi arc soundbar

I'm having the same issue with my TV, so you're not alone! Different model TCL Roku TV and a Klipsch Soundbar, but connected via HDMI arc. My Alexa turns itself up and down instead of the TV. The TV just ignored volume commands completely. Alexa, turn on/off family room roku - works fine. Alexa, turn volume up on family room roku -- She turns up the volume on the Echo device itself, not the TV or the Soundbar..

Ever figure anything out?

0 Kudos
wlonkly

Re: Not able to change volume on TV with Alexa Roku skill when using hdmi arc soundbar

Well, not sure this is going to be useful to anybody, but chiming in with a "me too" here as well, with a Sonos Beam 2 connected via eARC. Manual volume changes on the Sonos properly change the volume on the Roku, but Alexa expects volume between 1 and 10, which maps to 10 through 100 on my TCL series 5 Roku TV.  And asking Alexa to turn up or down the volume goes in increments of 10.

Oddly it seems to have started for me when I added a second smart TV (an Insignia Fire TV) to my Alexa account.

I've asked for some help from the Sonos forum here  because that community seems to be good at figuring out interoperability issues, although in retrospect I think Alexa might be talking directly to the smart TV even though the Beam is the voice assistant device.

I'll try to remember to update this thread (which is one of two Google results for that Roku error!) if I discover anything.

0 Kudos
Sillyness
Reel Rookie

I have found that with my soundbar hooked up thru arc that I can not set a specific volume number using Alexa. 

However I can say Alexa Roku volume up 20 and it will go up 40 increments in volume.  Note: When soundbar hooked up volume jumps by 2's with remote. 

Another Example: Alexa Roku volume down 15, it will go down 30 increments.

Normal: Alexa volume up or down command jumps 10 increments.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, @Sillyness.

It is highly appreciated that you've brought this to our attention and we'd be more than happy to look closely at utilizing the Alexa skill on your Roku player. 

As we check, you have multiple Roku devices linked to your account; may we know on which particular device have you observed this? Also, can you please specify the model of your soundbar? 

Moreover, does restarting your Alexa app (uninstall and reinstall) make any difference? 

We'll be anticipating your response as we are more than eager to find and provide you with an accurate resolution possible.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos