Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usedtobeagoodTV
Channel Surfer

No sound unless I power cycle Roku TV

More and more often I don't get sound unless I power off the TV completely. 

This is a smart TV Westinghouse) with Roku built in.

I've tried all of the sound settings that apply and it still happens (again, intermittently)

Labels (1)
74 REPLIES 74
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: No sound unless I power cycle TV

Hello @TusedtobeagoodTV

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Audio problems on the Roku, like no audio, distorted audio, or audio dropouts, can be caused by software settings or problems with your hardware and/or cables depending on the complexity of your setup. Please follow the steps below to troubleshoot this issue.

1.  Check to make sure that your A/V receiver, HDMI switcher, or speaker are connected to your Roku with the HDMI, optical, or component cables properly put into both ends.

2. Make sure all of your components are powered on.

3. Verify that the correct input is selected on your A/V receiver, HDMI switcher, or soundbar.

4. Check the volume level and mute settings on your television. Make sure mute is OFF and that the volume setting is at an appropriately audible level. If you need help, check the documentation for your TV manufacturer.

Here's a link to our support page to find out more to troubleshoot the audio issue: What to do if you do not hear sound from your Roku® streaming player | Official Roku Support

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
usedtobeagoodTV
Channel Surfer

First, please stop telling me to check cables etc. If you're not going to read what I wrote, don't bother responding.  It's a Smart TV, with an internal speaker.  No cables are involved, period.  The audio was set to speaker months ago and it worked for months.  I'm not being rude, I just don't have time to check a response that has absolutely nothing to do with my issue.

I'm convinced it is 100% a software issue.  I tried switching from speaker to auto (and back).  Doing that caused the menu sound to work (click) however the channels still did not have audio until I reset (powered off completely, then powered back on) the TV.

The TV was set up months ago and there was no reason to change anything; the only changes are from software updates.  Please let me know when Roku has a patch, and I hope the updates are tested more thoroughly from here forward.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@usedtobeagoodTV 

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your Roku TV. Have you tried restarting the Roku TV from the Setting menu? To restart your Roku TV, using your Roku remote, navigate to the home screen and choose Settings > System > Power > System restart.

If performing a restart does not resolve the issue, we recommend that you contact to reset the Roku TV to see if there's any difference after. Perform the following steps with your Roku remote or the Roku mobile app.

1. Press Home  on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions

Please note that performing a factory reset will erase all of your settings and preferences, so you will need to set up your device again from scratch.

Keep us posted. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Ck571

I have been getting the same problem that appears to have started around the same time as when you made your post/question. I can do a system restart and get sound back, but this is getting very frustrating having to do it every time I try watching the TV. Clearly its a software issue if people are having the same problem, but they will likely give you the runaround answer to take care of the problem with a bandaid rather than admit a problem and resolve the issue with a software update.  

RokuArvyS
Retired Moderator

Hi @Ck571
Welcome to the Roku Community!
We understand that you're having trouble with the sound of your Roku device. Help is here, and let's work on it.

We'd like to know if you have any external audio devices connected to your home setup.

• Have you tried to unplug the HDMI cable from both your Roku player and TV?
  • What error messages or codes do you get when you try to set up your Roku device?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you.
Best regards,
Arvy

Marc
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kristina4

I am going to chime in stating I too have the same issue. No additional audio components attached as it is a smart tv (Hisense) with built in speakers; no cables etc outside of the power cable. The only solution is to go to the system settings and do a power restart from the settings menu; if you use the remote to power the tv off and on; there is still no audio; the only fix is through the system settings power restart option. It is clear this is a software problem however the software is “up to date”.

Frank71
Channel Surfer

Same problem on a hisense 43H4+ (8227X) with Firmware 12 4182-90 and with a JVC Sl42FR (8526X) Firmware 12 4182-AX, but doesnt happen on a Hisense 50R6+ (C223X) Firmware 12 4182-94, the problem on the two tv started with firmware update 12. Now im really tired of having to do the power cycle every time i turn on those tv (they have no additional hardware attached).

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Frank71,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about this behavior you've encountered. We would be more than happy to look into this. Is the issue happening on a specific channel, or does this audio issue generally occurs when navigating through the Roku interface? Also, what are the steps to reproduce the problem?

Please keep us posted, and we're here to help.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Frank71
Channel Surfer

The problems happens when u turn on the tv from the remote (like 90% of the time, same rate on both tv), like coming from the stand by, there is no audio in general, not even the menu clicks (its like if the firmware doesnt initialize the audio driver right or in time) everything works just there isnt audio at all. It can be fixed by restartingthe tv via the menu option in system or by unplugin and plugin the power cable and it works everytime after that.