Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vndosamp
Reel Rookie

Streambar remote issue

ROKU Streambar keeps rebooting when the remote volume buttons are pressed. Mute button does not work either. Same issue when trying to use volume via the ROKU app. The system freezes up and resets. Tried a factory reset but no good. Also, unplugged device, reset remote, and checked TV setup. Everything had been working fine until today. 

0 Kudos
Qiqi

Re: New Roku Streambar keeps rebooting randomly

@RokuDanny-R 

I just got the streambar for Christmas and I’m having the same issue and tbh I can’t even get it to stay on long enough to get the information you need but I will try shortly 

0 Kudos
vndosamp
Reel Rookie

Yes, same problem here. Got the soundbar in Q4/20. The problem started in early January. I tried a factory reset to no avail. Pressing the volume keys seemed to trigger the reset/reboot (I could scroll through apps after a reset but then once the volume or mute key was pressed either on the physical remote or via iPhone app, the system would lock and reboot). I unplugged the device overnight and the following day when I powered it up it was working. However, the problem has now returned two weeks later. I'm wondering if I should simply return the streambar and try another one.

Model: 9102R: Roku Streambar

Serial number: YLOODK513672

Software version: 9.4.6 - build 4007-95

Device ID: 2A109D513672

0 Kudos
G5t6x6
Reel Rookie

I sent mine back to Amazon. There is obviously some flaw in the equipment. Acts like it is overheating. Probably a $.02 capacitor used vs $.05 and causing some power flakiness. I got the sound bar instead and works and sounds much better, but I liked this smaller version. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@vndosamp 

Thanks for the post and providing your information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spankster

Looooong Post Ahead

So I've bought a Roku Streambar around November 20, 2020, and I also have those random crashes/reboots.

I have tested many things since then. The crashes/reboots can occur at any time between four to six hours when being only used as a soundbar (optical plugged on PS4). However, when this happens, it will repeat itself about every 45 minutes afterward.

As for the apps, the problem seems more frequent on Netflix, mostly on 4K content (I remember watching Bigmouth with my son and it crashed /rebooted at least once every episode, sometimes twice). As for Prime Video, I got about 1 to 3 crashes for an episode of The Boys.

The other apps I use seem to be more stable but they dont stream over 1080 (HiDive, Funimation, CrunchyRoll). Yeah geeky familly. These apps only seem to crash when they are running 90 min or so.

So far, the best way I have found to have the bar run for a longer period of time is to unplug it for a little while. Lately, I only plug it before using it.

That resumes it for now I think!!

As for my testing:
At first I tought the problems might have been caused by a language issue in the bar's OS (it was set in French [Quebec here]). I thus switched it to English.

Didn't see any improvement

I thought that it could be a router issue so I checked my router's log and saw no disconnection nor anything weird. Still, just to be sure, I put the Roku on DMZ so nothing would interfere.

Didn't see any improvement

I've shut down non-essential options such as the ability to close the TV with the Roku's remote and other thingies like that... No improvement

I thought that there could have been some compatibility issues since my TV dates of 2016, so I've plugged the Roku in a standard HDMI instead of the ARC one... No improvement

As for the Playstation 4, since I was going through the TV and then to the ARC to the bar, I had no choice to change (after the previous tests/changes). It didn't fix it either, so I've put it directly through the optical from the PS4 to the bar... No improvement

When only acting as a soundbar, it ends up crashing at the same rate as when we use the bar to watch videos.... so no improvement

On Christmas Eve, I did a few tests, like letting the bar run for a while at some point. Crash reports were impossible to obtain, it caused the bar to re-crash too fast for it to be reported… This lasted a few days (actually making the report was making it crash). After that, I've simply unplugged it until mid-January since there was a patch… Still no improvement

I replugged the bar about two days ago since there was another patch. I tested the bar by letting it stream CBC Montreal's channel. It stayed up about three hours before crashing. It crashed again 42 minutes after.

So far, I'm hoping for some kind of patch or something. I mostly believe that there is a memory leak somewhere, unless the issue is physical. I don't have any sign of that whatsoever. There are no visual artifacts on screeen, sound issues or evident overheating...

It just suddently freezes the picture, then sound keeps on playing for 5 to 20 seconds, then it reboots.

TV is a Samsung : UN40KU6270

The router is a : Netgear R7000 nighthawk

-Roku device mode : 9102CA Roku Streambar
-serial number : YL001K092120
-device ID : 2C1081092120
-software OS/version : 9.4.6 Build 4013-95
timestamp : 2021-01-24T06:09:01Z
-tracker ID : 20-033-489

I was playing PS4 so only audio was transmitted through the soundbar at that moment via optical.

I've been patient enough on my side to try and set it, but the issues obiviously do not come from my side. From now on, I'll send you these reports on a more regular basis.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Spankster 

Thanks for the post and providing your information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Slmayhugh
Binge Watcher

Well it’s taken about 2 weeks...but just had another reboot on the NETFLIX App. Here is the info:

9102-R Streambar
SN: YLOOEA156148
Software 9.4.0 Build 4290-95
timestamp: 2021-01-27T00:47:19Z
ID: 48-037-487

Any updates or progress in FIXING THE ISSUES?!?!?

0 Kudos
hanst
Reel Rookie

I fixed this on my LG television by turning off simplink!

0 Kudos

I am currently having the same problem!  The sound will go out then it will freeze and Then it will reboot itself!   I got mine on the day it came out on preorder!   I wish there was a way to fix it because it keeps happening randomly! 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.