Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westner
Roku Guru

Re: Let's Have a User-Friendly Live TV Channel Guide Again

Jump to solution

I just wanted to document Roku’s latest experiment to try the patience of their clients where they removed channel numbers from their streaming channels. It’s a good thing that I created a ‘Favorites’ list containing both OTA and streaming channels because the order in the list was preserved.

The first screen shot in the ‘Favorites’ list shows the beginning of the list and the second screen shot goes a little deeper, where the channel numbers disappear, but the channel order continues to stay the same (starting with “Reuters” and ending with “Cinevault”).

Top of 'Favorites' ListTop of 'Favorites' ListIMG_0659.JPG

Note that in the 3d screen shot, in the ‘All Channels’ list, the first channel is “Reuters” and the last channel is “OAN”, showing that the channel order was scrambled. In the 4th screen shot we see the same thing, with a bunch of NEW channels inserted.

IMG_0661.JPGIMG_0663.JPG

I hope that this “Test” does not get implemented. It would be the dumbest thing Roku has done so far.

Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I fully agree, this makes no sense at all no matter how you look at it.  Let's fix the current problems rather than creating new ones.  Yes the channel number do serve a purpose, and yes they need to be there.

Brion
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Has anyone found out if they plan on putting channel numbers back??

0 Kudos
rodger3876
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have all my Icons and channel numbers back. Dont know how they disappeared and don't know how they came back. No firmware update. Waited 3 days before posting this just to make sure they stayed put.

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, mine came back on Sunday and now they're all in proper order. While the Channel numbers were missing, Roku also scrambled the order in which they previously appeared. I guess they wanted us to get used to using their 'Categories' tabs.

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I think last week Roku posted another update (ver. 12.5.5 Build 4174). I may be wrong but suddenly my Voice Command Pro remote stopped working. I lost the ability to issue voice commands and a few other functions. I tried pairing it a couple of times but nothing happened after several minutes, with the little green light continuing to blink. Then I couldn't even get to the Home screen. All the buttons were dead.

Luckily I had a spare Voice Command remote. It also lost the same functions as the Pro model.  I used it to do a System restart. Then both remotes were functioning as they were supposed to.

Thanks again, Roku.

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Tomorrow, February 5, 2024, is the 1-year anniversary when RokuDanny-R shut down our "Useless Roku Live TV Channel Guide" thread. I will celebrate the day by not turning on my Roku TV until 2/6/24.

0 Kudos
Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@westner

I have pretty much given up.  Recently I purchased some cheap google tv boxes and just have the tv boot straight to that.  I have the google tv boxes customized so it only shows tiles, no ads.  I then went with a HDHomeRun device, using 'getchannels' on my mac mini server- I was able to setup my own live tv guide the way I want it, very refreshing, and yes you can even turn off the channels categories (which actually works as it should with this guide system).   Plus, with the DVR option, it's nearly the perfect channel guide experience.  All my channel logos/icons are there, channel numbers, and the guide is very responsive and quick!

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Zonexero Besides my big-screen TCL Roku, I have several Samsungs, a Panasonic and a Vizio and none have a perfect or even good channel guide. I'll have to do a much more diligent search before I replace the Roku TV - it's just too expensive to swap out TV's every couple of years until you find one that doesn't mess with you. Maybe a cheap Google TV is in my future to take it for a test drive. Thanks for the tip.

I bought my HD Home Run years ago and I love it. You can install it on your network and have it accessible to any computer on it. If you wish, you can "cast" the recorded TV program to your big-screen TV. 

0 Kudos