Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WillKat380
Reel Rookie

Last Roku device update change my location for all connected devices.

The last update to Roku devices has moved my location effecting local channels.

1. The Wi-Fi they are all connected to show the proper location for my other devices (iPad, cell on WiFi only, etc).

2. I tried updating the Roku device and this is the latest update. Plugged into the wall devices show 11/23/2023 update.  I check and no other update is available.

3. I set the zip code on the Roku devices and nothing changes

4. I did all the reboots of WiFi and modems connections. Also rebooted Roku. 

Clearly that update has an issue.

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Cketts

Re: Last Roku device update change my location for all connected devices.

I 'm having the same issue, Paramount Plus uses my correct location so I get local news, but Peacock has me in a completely different state, and that is local news channel I prefer. SO FRUSTRATING!! i have put in my zip code, updated app and roku both, nothing works

C Ketts
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @WillKat380 @Cketts!

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out for support. We'd like to take a closer look at your concern and further assist you with this. 

Kindly provide us with the latest (specific) OS version of your Roku streaming player so we can assess your concern better and provide you with an accurate resolution for this.

We'll be looking forward to your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kycastaway
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue - zip code will not store.  My code level is 12.5.0 from 10/27/23, build 4178.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @kycastaway.

Raising your concern here regarding the zip code setup on your Roku streaming devices is highly appreciated.

We suggest trying to navigate through your Home screen to select Settings > System > Zip code > OK. After doing so, kindly reboot your Roku players.

If the issue still occurs kindly try to check for system updates by selecting Settings > System > Software update > Check Now

Let us know how it goes and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kycastaway
Reel Rookie

Went to System and used voice as well as keyed in zip code.

Checked for software update but 10/27/2023 was last update at the 12.5.0 level.

Re-booted the ROKU.

When I go back to zip code, it is blank.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I believe the zip code entry screen is for inputting only.  It can be used for entering or resetting your zip code, but I don't think it shows the stored zip code value.

As far as I know, this information is used for accessing the guide information for channels received by antenna on a Roku TV.

For streaming apps that provide your local TV:

• Some of them determine your location by the IP number assigned to you by your internet provider. If your internet provider assigns or changes your IP number to one attached to one of its servers located in a different area, that could change the local stations you are provided.

You can use an IP info website like the ones listed below to see where the IP number assigned by your internet provider indicates you are located. If this doesn't represent your actual area, you can contact your internet provider and ask to be reassigned an IP in your area.

Some IP info websites:
      https://www.iplocation.net/
      https://www.iplocation.com/
      https://tools.keycdn.com/geo
      https://www.ipfingerprints.com/
    A web search for "IP Location" can find many more.
  • Some others may (example PBS) give you the option of specifying your area directly.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
WillKat380
Reel Rookie

I included most of the information in my original message.

I tried rebooting the roku.

I checked iPad and Computer and other non-roku devices and they know the location properly.

I set the zip properly on the roku

version is 12.5.0 - build 4178-AE

location web sites say Angola, Indiana which is correct.

IP ADDRESS:173.24.62.240

REGION:Indiana

CITY:Angola

ORGANIZATION:AS30036 Mediacom Communications Corp

LATITUDE:41.6348

LONGITUDE:-84.9994

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @WillKat380,

Thanks for keeping in touch!

You can try to restart your Roku device by going to Settings > System > Power > System Restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step) and see if it fixes the issue.

If the issue persists, you can try performing a factory reset from the device settings. Please note that once you perform a factory reset, which will:

• Erase your personal preferences.
  • Unlink your Roku device from your Roku account.
  • Reset all settings and return your Roku device to a state ready for initial setup.

Please keep us posted regarding the behavior you are experiencing, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Wendei

Having the same issue. Software version 22.5.0 build 4178-46

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.