Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to turn off HDR on Roku Smart TV?

Hi, @SportsFan55 

It's our pleasure to welcome you here in the Roku Community.

Thanks for letting us know about the concern you've shared with us, and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. We'd be more than willing to assist. We recommend navigating to your Roku TV settings to disable HDR. Follow these steps below:

To turn off HDR on Roku TV:

• On your Roku remote, press the Home button five times, then press rewind, down, fast forward, down, and rewind.
  • Select Change HDR Mode.
  • Select Disable HDR.

Let us know if this helps.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SportsFan55
Reel Rookie

Hi Kash, my Roku TV does not have the option to disable HDR in the secret menu. Please advise if there’s any other way to disable it.

Tork
Reel Rookie

I have the TCL 50S455 and doing what you suggested does not give an option to turn off HDR. Pressing the button sequence you suggested does enter the secret menu, but no HDR turn off is available.

is there another way to disable HDR?

thanks

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Tork,

Welcome aboard here in the Roku Community!

Thank you for reaching out to us about turning off HDR on your Roku TV. We're pleased to assist,

Your HDR TV must be configured correctly to display HDR content. Many TVs that support HDR do not enable HDR by default. You can refer to the sample instructions that accompany the popular TV brands below, but the steps may vary from model to model and may change when TV software is updated. When in doubt, refer to the user manual or online documentation for your specific make and model. Note that the HDR settings on some TVs are specific to each HDMI input. Please make sure to change the settings specific to the HDMI input to which your Roku player will be connected. 

How to change the display type
If your Roku streaming player is unable to correctly detect the capabilities of your TV, you may wish to configure the display type on your own. Follow the steps below to manually change your display type setting.

1. Press Home  on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Display type
  4. Select one of the available display types and press OK  on your remote
  5. Your screen may go black for a few seconds while the display setting is changed
  6. When an image is shown, select Yes, I can see it, and press OK on your remote
  7. Your screen will return to the Display type menu
  8. A check  will appear next to the new display setting

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
Tork
Reel Rookie

I have the TCL 50S455 and doing what you suggested does not give an option to turn off HDR. Pressing the button sequence you suggested does enter the secret menu, but no HDR turn off is available.

is there another way to disable HDR?

thanks

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Tork,

Thanks for the updates,

It looks like it will require some assistance from our friends at TCL. You can find their support options here (Where can I get support for my Roku TV™?) or reach them at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,

Arjiemar 

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SamGatoo

please help. HDR blows. Backlight not strong enough. Tried that home five times blah blah but the secret tv menu that popped up did not offer that option 

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @SamGatoo

We're glad to welcome you here in the Roku Community.

We see that you're having an issue with HDR, and we'd be more than glad to assist. May we know if you're using a Roku device or a Roku TV? Additionally, is the HDR not noticeable on a specific channel or throughout the Roku platform? Further, have you already set up the HDR on your Roku? 

For more information on how to properly set up the HDR, please refer to the support article How to set up your Roku® streaming player for HDR

Please keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CPB52

Hi Arjiemar,
I think you don't understand this question. I have the same problem with my new ROKU series plus TV. Any video streamed in HDR 10+ looks like **bleep**. This is on the ROKU branded television, not a ROKU streaming box. As mentioned by a previous moderator (Carly), there appears to be no way to turn off HDR on this ROKU TV. Your advice might help someone using a ROKU box on some generic TV, but it's useless in regards to this problem. 

If the ROKU Series Plus TV can't handle HDR 10+ video, then there should be a way to turn it off. Diddling with the Brightness/Contrast doesn't do squat. Perhaps ROKU can do a software update that addresses this issue - by allowing the ROKU Series Plus TV to turn off HDR mode!

Cheers, 
Charles

Brian771
Channel Surfer

Philips 50" Roku smart TV model 50PUL6533/F7.

As Charles and the other customers here have stated there are no options for turning off the HDR picture on the secret menu (home 5xs, etc.) or in the TVs system settings. It's just not available. Also, as someone else mentioned, the 4K & regular HD picture settings are more than fine. There needs to be a fix here. If Roku was able to remove this feature from the secret menu then you should be able to put it back. The HDR feature kills the picture making it dark and dull especially when compared to the reg HD picture settings when not in HDR mode. Also there's no way to adjust/override this manually using the advanced picture settings. I've spent more time than I know trying.

I've been a loyal Roku customer going back to the Roku 1 box that connected via rca cables, as most TVs didn't have HDMI at that time. The product and customer service has always been good if not great. Obviously this seems to no longer be the case. All we are asking for is the option of shutting off the HDR. If it was removed in an update then it should be able to be uploaded in another update. What's the point of owning a Roku TV if you can't see the picture? Especially as more series, movies etc are in 4K. I've included pics of both menus so you can see our lack of options for HDR settings. 

Roku customer.

Brian 

TV Secret menu. No HDR options.

20240617_162558.jpg

Regular TV menu. No HDR options.

20240617_162717.jpg

I hope these pictures will help you to see what others have been trying to explain. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.