Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off HDR on Roku Smart TV?

I have a Roku Hisense 58R63G Smart TV (https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hisense-58-4k-uhd-hdr-led-roku-smart-tv-58r63g-2022/17083771) and want to turn off HDR as it seems to be making the content look severely dim and desaturated. I went into the secret menu by doing - Home button (X5), rewind, down, fast forward, down, rewind. but there is no Change HDR mode option there.

Is there another way to turn off HDR? The software version is 12.5 build 4176-CH.

19 REPLIES 19
Neilio715
Binge Watcher

Re: How to turn off HDR on Roku Smart TV?

Home 5X rew play ffw play rew is how I get to disable HDR on my tv.  
It is not permanent.  It will revert eventually and you will have to do it again.  Best thing is to go into that mode before watching anything you may think is in HDR and ensuring it is disabled.  

0 Kudos
hairgirl
Reel Rookie

i have the same question i have a 55inch tcl roku tv just bought it yesterday only options in secret menu are tuner screen,upgrade tcon PM integrated with gamma,enable hdmi short protection,disable cec keep alives,enable cec remote control, collect checksum, convert eps gamma table and cancel. only reason i want to disable is because hbo max show that enable hdr cause significant screen tearing

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @hairgirl,

Thanks for your post.

To turn off HDR on Roku TV:

• On your Roku remote, press the Home button five times, then press rewind, down, fast forward, down, and rewind.
  • Select Change HDR Mode.
  • Select Disable HDR.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
hairgirl
Reel Rookie

@RokuJanadeeK yea but thats thing there isnt a option like that both the tvs i got recently both tcl roku tv and different sizes dont have that option in the menu any of them the secret one the regular one there is nothing like that one tv i just bought literally 2 days ago and other was a year ago

Mjsross

@RokuJanadeeK @hairgirl @hearthacker Same problem. Secret menu doesn't have an HDR control option, so instructions posted here don't work. I've tried to compensate with brightness, contrast, backlighting, and advanced picture and color settings, but it's still awful: screen is either dark or pink. Has anyone figured this out? 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Mjsross.

We appreciate you reaching out and we'd be happy to assist you with this.

Please be aware that there is no available option to turn the HDR mode off. As a workaround, you can press the star* button on your remote during playback and adjust the picture settings including different HDR modes and expert picture settings. 

If you have further queries, let us know and we'll continue assisting you from there. Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
druid13
Channel Surfer

I'm sorry, but that's a piss poor solution. The option was there and then removed on the newer models. Why should people be forced to watch something that the hardware/software of the tv is not good enough to present properly? If Roku TV's cannot display HDR properly then it should not be a feature that cannot be turned off. Really, this is ridiculous that you care that little about your customers.

Agreed with the person above. My tv literally blacks out because of the HDR option and not having the option to turn it off means that we wasted money on a Roku tv. Thanks for nothing 😀

0 Kudos
SportsFan55
Reel Rookie

Same problem here on a new 50” Roku TV 4k Select. On YoutubeTV 4K streams it defaults to HDR mode and the image is garbage. No contrast, faded colors, extremely low brightness. Adjusting any of the settings available does nothing to fix the problem. The “standard” feed is far better than the 4K feed. This seems like a waste of money to me unless there’s a way to turn off this HDR mode or improve the image quality somehow. 
Note, 4K when not in HDR works fine (ie. If using a video on demand instead of a live stream). 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.